Using unbranded underwater housings with cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aka chopsticks?

Nope, thinner. They're kind of like skewers for what we call satay over here where bits of meat are skewed onto them and barbequed.

Was thinking of a 50mm.

I'm not asking what you want to use, Progen. What actually fits in that port? What lens(es) is the port designed for? Those are the questions. You may find that that case can't accept many lenses. You will see most DSLR housings have (need) separate ports. Anyway, I can't find the manual online. I would assume it's a WA or Macro lens, but not sure.

I'm not asking what you want to use, Progen. What actually fits in that port? What lens(es) is the port designed for? Those are the questions. You may find that that case can't accept many lenses. You will see most DSLR housings have (need) separate ports. Anyway, I can't find the manual online. I would assume it's a WA or Macro lens, but not sure.

I sent the seller some questions about the casing a few days ago but have yet to receive any reply.

Another dealer came back with the reply that it takes the 18-55mm lens.

Any news on the Meikon housing for the 550d?? Did you order it? If you did..does it work? If it works, does it let you use the top ring to change Av and Shutter Speed in Manual Mode?? Sorry for the bundle of questions, I was just checking this out in these past days. I have a friend who dives alot, for work mostly and he has two Meikon housings, one for his kit lens and one for his macro lens, both are for the Sony Nex 5. Each of his housings he bought for ~$150... considering that none of the two ever flooded and that his only complain was that past 75' depth the butons would stick but would still be usable. After 100' he wasnt able to press the buttons.

I have a 550d and I am considering this housing for starters. I will surely upgrade later to a better housing or even a better system altogether.

:)

Can you effectively use the optical viewfinder with that 550D housing or are you limited to using Liveview/LCD? Being limited to using liveview/LCD would be a deal-breaker compromise.

Haven't ordered it yet. Top of my list now is a sidemount harness and regulator set. Anyway, I've emailed the manufacturer for more details because it seems a bit too good to be true with the mention of interchangeable ports and a leak alarm. Wondering whether they've done a copy and paste from some other brand and model's description.

I received mine today... the port is a fixed port (thats of with me) for the 18-55mm kit lens. The Top dial is the ONLY camera option that is not accesible but for $1,000 less than the Ikelite housing... I can live with that. What I plan to do is before diving setting up some "pre-sets" on the creative modes. And the changin with the mode dial. That way ill have a Av setting, Sv setting, a M setting and can use the portrait and automatic modes (which I really dont like to use but again for 1K less, hell... why not!!) The housing feels like a Ikelite COMPACT housing, not a DSLR one. Already put it in a water bucket and it sealed well. Its a double O-ring system actually which is good, gives me some peace of mind. Plan of doing a 65-75ft dive housing only to test that everything is sealed up and that all buttons are pressable without having any leaks, then take the T2i on a dive! I plan on using the Canon 50mm F1.8 since I really dont zoom in or out underwater and going to make a DIY tray for my Sea and Sea Ys02 strobe :D so i am stoked with that. I'll post pictures when I get it in the water if anyone is interested in checking those out.

Hey duanejason, please keep us informed of your experiences. I am thinking of using it with the cheap 50mm macro lens myself.

---------- Post added June 14th, 2013 at 10:09 AM ----------

... The Top dial is the ONLY camera option that is not accesible but for $1,000 less than the Ikelite housing... I can live with that. ...

When you saw Top dial, are you referring to the mode one or the one behind the shutter button which in M mode controls shutter speed?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom