Using scuba tank + 1st stage for a nailgun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

READ the maximum pressure for YOUR nail gun on the case or in the instructions, and arrange not to exceed it. Even my shop compressor is set too high to drive my nail gun, which has a maximum pressure rating of 120 PSI. My air ratchets have a maximum pressure of 100. The only things that take higher pressures are my impact wrenches. Since I have first stages mostly devoted to tire filling, they are set at 100 PSI, have regular Milton-style Q/Ds for shop air, and I use them for all my air tools. A steel 72 of air will drive the nail gun until I'm ready to take a break anyway.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I destroyed a couple of air tools learning that the maximum pressure...is really the maximum pressure. It takes a while, but it won't do them any good to exceed it.

If you don't want to change the IP of your first stage you can get an inexpensive, adjustable regulator at home depot and put that between the first stage and the tool via Q/D fittings.

yup

Regulator with gauge
Husky 1/4 in. NPT Regulator with Gauge-41155HOM - The Home Depot
QD to the LPI
NPT Fitting 1/4M Thread
QD to the tools
Husky 4-Piece Quick Connect Kit-HDA20100AV - The Home Depot

Total cost ~$30 and you're good to go with any air tools you need to use and use the normal hoses. Can do it for ~$10 without the regulator which does the same thing if your stuff can handle the IP of the regulator

Not a nail gun, but hooked up an air drill to a HP 117 with a first tuned down to 120. Sharpened some carbide bits to drill a boulder down about 30'. Drilled 1/2" holes for the anchors on my favorite Buddy's Memorial Brass Plaque. Was one of those bittersweet endeavors and after 3 years, still miss the dives and smiles!
Hardest part was staying put to put some force behind the drill. Ended up wrapping a strap around the boulder for leverage.

Back
Top Bottom