Using scuba tank + 1st stage for a nailgun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Has anyone used their compressed air from a scuba tank (and 1st stage) to drive a nail gun? Is 140psi too much?

Any advice?

140 is fine, don't try to pull the trigger too fast, the regulator will freeze up.

works fine, just make sure you oil the nail gun. Don't have a whole lot of time to use it since they suck a lot of air, but 140psi is fine. The nail gun should also have a regulator on it so you can control depth of the nail. 140psi will push it a lot farther in, so they usually have an adjustment to back off. Particularly important on finish guns

i totally destroyed some nice trim with too much pressure to the gun.

I use a secondary, adjustable regulator with mine so I can adjust the pressure as needed. Some people use a diaphragm-type first stage that is adjustable and manage to skip the other, secondary regulator. I find using a scuba tank for air tools to be extremely handy and use it often.

i totally destroyed some nice trim with too much pressure to the gun.
We're still discussing nail guns, correct?

I use a secondary, adjustable regulator with mine so I can adjust the pressure as needed. Some people use a diaphragm-type first stage that is adjustable and manage to skip the other, secondary regulator. I find using a scuba tank for air tools to be extremely handy and use it often.
my adapter has a BC nipple on one side of a tiny regulator and a standard quick connect on the outlet side for that reason

my problem was not applying "measure twice, cut once" to nailing.

my problem was not applying "measure twice, cut once" to nailing.

fair enough. Dad taught me real early to take a scrap piece of whatever wood I was nailing and check the pressure first. Good life lesson, unfortunately one I have forgot a couple times but thankfully it was low pressure vs. high, then I remembered and shook my head

Back
Top Bottom