Using Rebreathers in Caves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't cave dive, but I've a fair amount of RB time. The idea of caves make me a little nervous, the idea of using a RB in a cave leaves me wanting to carry a lot of bailout gas, but then I've never had a RB problem and having all that time kinda balances my worry, at least intellectually.

For those with some interest my unit can be seen starting from www.airheadsscuba.com/rbrsprt.html and the link to Dale's mod..

When I get some time I'd be glad to discuss our protocols for MCCR diving. Needless to say the most basic is always and I do mean always have OC bailout capability in any diving venue. We lost an accomplished diver just last years in part I believe due to a lack of OC bailout. In cave it is not as hard as one would envision. I do like the ability to have lots of time to solve a problem is lost.

Safe Diving

Dale

i had done my cavern oc but knew i was going to a RB so i did not do cave oc. I waited until I got my rEvo. I had somewhere around 75 hours on the unit and had completed mod 3 already.

For those with some interest my unit can be seen starting from www.airheadsscuba.com/rbrsprt.html and the link to Dale's mod..

When I get some time I'd be glad to discuss our protocols for MCCR diving. Needless to say the most basic is always and I do mean always have OC bailout capability in any diving venue. We lost an accomplished diver just last years in part I believe due to a lack of OC bailout. In cave it is not as hard as one would envision. I do like the ability to have lots of time to solve a problem is lost.

Safe Diving

Dale

That was an interesting write up, thanks for sharing. I look forward to your discussion regarding protocols.

Old thread but worth reviving.

I was enrolled in an instructor program for my CCR before going into a cave with it. I believe I had logged around 120 hours on it in open water and wreck. I also had in excess of 500 logged cave dives.

Regarding your question about bailout... plenty of it, the volume of which is determined by four factors:
  • Experience cave diving with OC on past dives
  • Tests doing simulated bailouts with the unit on my back from various waypoints within the cave
  • Padding the RMV to account for higher consumption because one would be in a bailout scenario
  • Carrying a redundant gas source

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom