Using RAW mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lemurs2:
Well Canon A series seemed to have a lot of good things about it but I can't find one under $800 that comes with RAW. the Fugi E900 has a good price and RAW. I'm on a budget and this will be my first UW

Sorry, we cross posted.

Either of those cameras should work well for you.

J.

I've heard good things about the Fuji. They're supposed to be pretty quick at focusing.

I shoot RAW U/W and JPEG topside (Oly C5050) Actually - I don't know if it's still there but someone on the board was offering the Oly plus case etc for $400 yesterday - 20 dives on it. That's a very good deal.....hang on....

edit: Here you go..... http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=171587

A note on the Oly, if you're interested in one, look at my Gallery, all shot with C5050 and Internal strobe. Some wide angle shots using ambient light only.

There are a LOT of photos on this board shot with the C5050. It's a classic U/W camera and was definitely the camera of choice when it first appeared. It has a much better lens than the follow up C5060 (which was why they made the C5060 as the original lens proved too expensive) My Thailand/Similan galleries are also shot with this camera - as are virtually all of justleesa's and Dee's I believe.

I hate to buck the system here, but I shoot almost exclusivly JPEG, topside and underwater. Well, I have up to now, my next trip I may do some Uncompressed shooting to try and step my work up a notch.

My camera is set to the highest resolution i can get without going to the "uncompressed" mode. My camera makes TIF files that I have to convert with the software that came with the camera before I can manipulate them in Photoshop. Basically just open it with the software and save it, then it can be manipulated.

Shooting JPEG is just the way I was taught to do it, I was told mostly because of write time to the camera. My instructor is a professional photographer and she says she doesn't shoot RAW. It will take your camera a lot longer to write an uncompressed file than it will a JPEG and you may miss that second shot because of it.

I do agree that shooting RAW is the best format for file manipulation, there is soooo much more information there, but if you are new to Photoshop also, that info may not be any good to you anyway.

You may want to shoot JPEG's until you really get to know your camera and develop you photography skills. That way you can shoot more pics and more often to improve your skill with your eye and camera. Then move to RAW once you feel you have a good grip on the process.

Another thing to consider is file size, the difference for me is JPEG: 1.2-1.4 Megs; Uncompressed: 14+Megs, some folks either don't want to deal with that big a file or the file slows down their computer quite a bit. Plus there's the issue of storage, 14+M files eat up storage quick.

Just some fuel to the fire, best of luck!

Many cameras that can shoot in RAW have some sort of buffer that allows you to keep shooting - even while the camera is writing. Even Point & Shoot cameras... just 1/2 press your shutter while its writing the file and see if it works :wink:

yup, I use the 5050 UW and it's a great camera. Alcina also still uses hers. If you can get that $400.- deal, go for it! It's a steal!

Any camera that you buy you will have a RAW converter included in the software package.

It is amazing how much you can pull out of a picture when it's taken in RAW.

sharky60:
It will take your camera a lot longer to write an uncompressed file than it will a JPEG and you may miss that second shot because of it.

This is highly dependent on the camera you use. Some cameras have large enough buffers so that this will not be an issue. I believe my D200 can shoot 5 frames per second continuous and has a buffer that can store 20+ RAW images before it fills up. Contrast this with my first digital camera, my trusty old C5050, shooting RAW was near impossible due to the write times.

Yes, what he says....Shooting RAW with my Canon is like shooting Jpeg with my oly (actually even faster than the oly).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom