Using New Gear Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Put the GoPro on a headband. Turn it on and forget it.

And if the results are anything like the average head-mounted video footage, please forget to share any of the unwatchable video with your friends and relatives.

:D

Like RJP said, I'd avoid strapping a GoPro to your head. Unless you can actually concentrate on not moving your head while filming, your results will be very very disappointing, IMO.

Agreed, the head mount footage is usually a good way to invoke motion sickness for the viewer.:D

If you have time, I would ask around with your dive buddies or LDS to show you how they mount/tether the go pro to them (it doesn't float) . With an inexpensive leash, If you feel task loaded at first, it is easy to turn off and put in a pocket and go about your dive and not worry about losing it.

There is a sub-forum for the go pro with mounting and tether solutions as well as starting points for settings, filters, and lights as you get more experience.

Main thing, as said previously, have fun and see how the photo/vid turns out. When I first started filming with mine, I would turn it on when I started the dive and just let it run. I would suggest the LCD screen, it does help with getting used to where to point and shoot.

Enjoy,

Mike

This is just a thought - put the GoPro away for your first dive. Get happy with your new gear and settled in the new environment. Then take photos and videos once you are settled.

As someone who takes his gopro on every dive, (Often times two) I love using my gopro mask from Advlyfe, I also use a selfie stick that can change the angle of the gopro and extends to get some shots from other angles.
you can check out the mask here We made this for you. – Advlyfe

I wouldn't suggest a headstrip since I've seen some fly off unknowingly to the diver.

Just be careful about watching your air. If you're doing new dives in a new / challenging (for you that day) environment I would just leave it in your pocket. With all the pictures I take sometimes I feel like it pulls away from the dive experience. Although I love being able to share some of my pictures, check them out below.

Charles (@space444)

Which model do you have? Let me know and I can suggest some setting presets for you to capture some awesome footage.

Batteries, more batteries, and charge everything. If your DC is OLED you may need to recharge or replace batteries during the trip.be sure to "pair" DC and transmitter. Have modest expectations: it can take a while to learn the DC and how to frame shots with GoPro.

Have fun.

along with the anti-head gear statements, do not think using it strapped to your wrist will give you anything worth more than a need for an air-sickness bag when viewing....

there is this most amazingly useful thing called a two-handled tray.......

Back
Top Bottom