Using Hog 32 for Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruisediver69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a warm water diver that from time-to-time dives AL80 doubles. I just picked up the Hog32 for diving singles. I noticed that the width of the Hog32 is close to that of the Dive Rite Exp that I usually rent when diving doubles. Is there any reason why the Hog32 wing can't be used for both?

not really, just make sure it has enough lift in your configuration.

Best,

Chris

My concers are:
1) is the 32# going to be enough lift for you ?
2) will the wing be wide enough to get all 32#s of lift out of it when it is in between the plate and the doubles ?
3) are you aware that you can bend your plate if you inflate your wing and it is trapped between the plate and the cylinders ?

Jim breslin

Pretty sure it will be too narrow.

My concers are:
1) is the 32# going to be enough lift for you ?
2) will the wing be wide enough to get all 32#s of lift out of it when it is in between the plate and the doubles ?
3) are you aware that you can bend your plate if you inflate your wing and it is trapped between the plate and the cylinders ?

Jim breslin

Based on my calculations I need approximately 19 lbs of lift. My config consisted of a 5mm wetsuit which has +12lbs off buoyancy, a SS BP, and the other gear needed for a DIR setup.

With the wing mounted on a set of doubles it extends out a couple inches on each side of the tank. It also extended within a couple of inches to the bottom of the tanks as well.

Can you elaborate on when and how the BP can be bent. I had not heard this before and am curious what scenario would cause it to occur.

not really, just make sure it has enough lift in your configuration.

Best,

Chris

I tried it out in the pool the other day. The only issue I had was the bottom of the inflator hose nut, where it attaches to the wing, hits up against part of the tank. This only happens if I mount the wing to the tanks using the top grommet.

Based on my calculations I need approximately 19 lbs of lift.
With the wing mounted on a set of doubles it extends out a couple inches on each side of the tank. It also extended within a couple of inches to the bottom of the tanks as well.

Can you elaborate on when and how the BP can be bent. I had not heard this before and am curious what scenario would cause it to occur.

Hi,
When the wing is bolted between the back plate and the cylinders and inflated it can bend the plate towards the diver. As the air fills the wing, the wing expands. If there is not a free space for the wing to expand to, it will come in contact with the plate and bend it.
There was a thread a few years back that was about bent back plates. If memory serves me Tobin chimed in about the problem.

If I have a chance I will try and find the old thread for you.

Jim Breslin

Based on my calculations I need approximately 19 lbs of lift.

Hi,
When the wing is bolted between the back plate and the cylinders and inflated it can bend the plate towards the diver. As the air fills the wing, the wing expands. If there is not a free space for the wing to expand to, it will come in contact with the plate and bend it.
There was a thread a few years back that was about bent back plates. If memory serves me Tobin chimed in about the problem.

If I have a chance I will try and find the old thread for you.

Jim Breslin

There is ZERO possibility of a wing bending a backplate when the wing inflates, ZERO. Won't happen. The wing has a OPV and the backplate (ss, alm or even abs) is too strong.

You will NOT get 32lbs lift with a 32 lb wing designed for singles used on a double tank setup. that is why it is so important to determine if the individuals configuration and weight and trim will work.

Tobin says yes.

Chris says no.

I'm calling Mythbusters.

:wink:

Chris,

Please read this post from Tobin about using a wing and bending a plate.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/deep-sea-supply/368866-can-you-bend-back-plat-wing.html#post5713711

Thanks, Jim Breslin

Sure if you don't use a OPV valve and every wing I have ever seen in diving has one, even wings from DSS that I now know are designed to bend stainless steel.:D

Seriously, with a OPV it wont be bending a plate. More likely you'll see the bladder get pinched and start leaking when the inflatable part of the wing gets trapped between the tanks and the plate, this is not unheard of.

Back
Top Bottom