Using ear plugs for diving? - Doc's ProPlugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have been diving for 15 years and from the very start i have had problems with equalizing my ears. i would have bloody masks and would spit out blood after every damn dive. i even had to stop diving for 5 years when i perforated my ear drum.
i have taken everything from sudafed to other deconegestants to nasal spray, all producing subpar results- equalization problems would still be there but not as bad as before.
i even bought the proears dive mask which would work sometimes when water doesnt make it into the 'earmuffs'. it proved to be semi effective for me.
all these problems were solved however with my use of the proplugs. it allows me to equalize just by swallowing which was impossible before. and though i still get the ear squeeze it is so much more manageable and infrequent as compared to my past experiences.
my joy of diving made me continue this sport, despite the constant ear problems i had. now proplugs allow me to fully enjoy my love for diving without the hassles ( ear problems) for the first time since my first dive!!!

Posted via Mobile DeviceGlad for you!

Hi folks, sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was directed here after researching the Docs Pro Plugs.... I was all set to get myself some until I read an article by DAN suggesting that these plugs are dangerous and should not be worn.
Unplugged: Use of Earplugs In Scuba Divers

When I first started to dive, it was in the MED and I had no issues at all, since returning home to the UK and the North Sea I have not had a dive where I haven't struggled with my ears, I have changed my hood, changed my methods of clearing, you name it ! I am so obsessed with my ears now that I use vapour rub on my chest and neck every night leading into the dive season, I practice equalising three to four times a day..... I get so much joy from diving, and the ear issues really get me down, hence why I looked into the pro plugs.

I was diving yesterday inland water, first dive of the season water was very cold 2-3deg, and I could not equalise when descending the shot line, had to abort and return to shore where my instructor suggested following another line down to the training platform (this line had a very gradual descent) where I was fine. Problem is 99% of my dives are from a boat and down a vertical shot line...

my ears are still clicking like mad today when swallowing ! Not sure if this is good or bad.

I am a recreational diver so my dives are usually around the 20 - 30m mark. That said most shore dives near me are circa 5 - 10m (the worst range I know)

so now that I have rambled on.... Has anyone using the plugs had to bail out due to an inclusion therefore pulling the plugs out at depth ? And has anyone had any issues with them? It seems the plugs have not undergone any medical testing and the success of them has been gauged via peoples use of the plugs...

cheers

Richie

Last edited:
What's the problem with split fins? We have 'em on our SCUBA boat for the tourists. I even use split-bodysurfing fins down to 55-60 feet and they work just fine, and are great for agile turns in very shallow water.

Split fins are to scuba like the largest cog on your front cassette is to biking. Some people make use of first gear a lot. When biking, I rarely leave my highest gear. I feel the same about SCUBA, and I like a fin that feels like I am using muscles and pushing a lot of water. Rapid movements kill my endurance, while less frequent powerful movements feel sustainable to me.

Split fins also do some very funky things when trying to back fin or turn in place. I find back finning impossible in them, but then again I struggle with back finning using blade fins. They are also less effective when frog kicking, as the fin itself is designed to perform a "mini" frog kick when you do a standard flutter kick. When frog kicking, they do not do this and all the benefit of the design is lost because the individual blades on each fin move out of sync, so you find that frog kicks have very little power.

They are great for people that can move a lot without getting winded, or those that want to be efficient when swimming while primarily flutter kicking. They are generally frowned upon for more serious dives as they can make anti-silting or very precise positioning kicks less effective.

Back
Top Bottom