Using dive lights out of the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gfisher4792

Reaction score
I have a UK D8, and was wondering if it can be used for any length of time out of the water. I heard/read somewhere that some diving lights overheat when not in the water, but never heard any specific names/types. Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks.

Some lights categorically state no, others state its ok. The D8 doesnt mention either....

For what its worth ive read threads elsewhere of the D8 melting the lense housing after extended periods on the surface and certainly the 4 or 5 mins ive had mine on it does get very hot so personally i wouldnt risk it.

The D8 uses a fairly powerful halogen lamp in close proximity to a plastic lens and a plastic reflector. If you leave it on too long, the lens will start to melt ... I know, I've done it with the lesser-powered C8. This is especially true with the rechargeable versions, as they use an even more high-powered lamp.

You will get some radiant cooling that will help, but I wouldn't recommend using the light out of the water for more than a few minutes.

I have the Sunlight C8 took it on a trip with me, forgot to take the batteries out *sob* it must have gotten knocked on while aboard the plane and ended up melting right to my wet suit and destruyed the face of the torch.

**hate it when ya have to learn stuff the hard way :( **

Usually manufacturers will warn you if it is a problem; but it couldn't hurt to ask if you are not sure. Accidentally turning on in your gear bag or suit case is bad all round though. Not even air cooling in a closed environment. :(

Most lights under 10 watts are okay, but there are exceptions (Ikelite PCa for example). With higher power lights I would check the manual or ask the manufacturer if you plan on running it for more than a few minutes.

I have a UK Light Cannon and have used it out of water for extended periods (more than an hour) and it works fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom