Using Compass UW, not depth rated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVMike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone used compasses underwater that were not specifically rated as underwater compasses.

I am thinking of trying a boat or kayak type compass mounted on a navigation board.

Wouldn't do it...!

Scuba compasses are built for presure, and trusting one is important.

I'd buy a cheap Scuba compass before i'd try that...

Good luck... Don

I have used the <$2 tiny ball compass sold by Walmart multiple times at depths of 100'. Normally it's on my gear bag as a zipper pull, but I've loaned it several times to guys that had rental gear with no compass in the console.

It's not precise since it's less than 1" in diameter, but it's easier than a normal compass to use for general orientation.

If you do decide to try one of the more traditional "Boy Scout" type flat compasses, be sure to get a liquid filled one ---- it will probably survive the pressure. Based on my experiences on boats though, the springs that hold the compass to the bezel plate will probably rust, making it hard to rotate the compass bezel.

Good luck,

Charlie

I know someone who uses a cheap walmart compass. He hasn't been very deep with it (past 80') but it seems to work okay for general direction. I wouldnt trust it for critical navigation in low vis, but if you know that shore is pretty much in a westerly direction, it will get you back there.

I personally wouldnt do a dive where my life would depend on accurate navigation using something that wasnt rated for SCUBA. Playing around in the local lake is another story.

:giggle: Better answer!! :notworthy Didn't know that liquid filled was available in anything but a dive compass.

You can also get a $5 compass that goes on your dive watch band, but it's small and simple.

A good dive :$: compass is pricey, huh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom