Using Compass on Cobra 3 in Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimbalabala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've read the manual and have no problem setting a heading on my compass while I'm OUT OF THE WATER - however, when I'm in the water (and really need it to work) I do as the manual says and push that darned button and get "Bookmark". I've tried all sorts of variations of pushing the button - long push, short push (you get the idea) and all I get are more bookmarks. When I fill in my dive log I've had 5 or more bookmarks that only mean "I was trying to set a bearing"! Anyone know the secret to doing this while in the water? I've even done the unthinkable and gone back and re-read the manual!!!

I don't have a Cobra 3 but have been reading the manual as I am thinking of buying one. It seems you first use a long press of the select button to enable the compass mode, then a short press of the select button to set a heading. As I read the manual, setting the heading will also create a bookmark at the same time but you should be seeing the heading marks letting you know if you are on course or not.

I'm curious to hear if you get this working. I don't want to buy it if it is difficult to use.

I've read the manual and have no problem setting a heading on my compass while I'm OUT OF THE WATER - however, when I'm in the water (and really need it to work) I do as the manual says and push that darned button and get "Bookmark". I've tried all sorts of variations of pushing the button - long push, short push (you get the idea) and all I get are more bookmarks. When I fill in my dive log I've had 5 or more bookmarks that only mean "I was trying to set a bearing"! Anyone know the secret to doing this while in the water? I've even done the unthinkable and gone back and re-read the manual!!!

HOLD the SELECT button to bring up the compass.

Take our Cobra 3 Online class .... there is a full section (video) dedicated to using the Cobra 3 compass underwater.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

TimKY, I will be using the computer again in August so I'll try the whole procedure again then, but I'm basing my experience on 6 consecutive days of diving last month and a lot of bookmarks! My husband simply bought a regular compass and uses that. Might be that as the Cobra 3 sets the bookmark it also sets the heading - but does that mean every time I set a bookmark it resets the heading? It just didn't function the same IN the water as OUT of the water. Btw, works fine in simulator mode too. Other than this compass issue I love my Cobra 3 - oh, and I put it on a retractable line to keep it close to my body when not in use but easy to access when I need it. If you can wait until August I'll let you know what I find out. :)

Alberto, I tried to watch your video class before I posted my original question - but right when I got to where I might have learned what I was trying to figure out it demanded that I purchase the right to finish watching the video (by buying "bubbles" for cash?). So I figured I'd try to find someone on the forum that could help. Thanks, but I spent enough money on this dive computer that I shouldn't have to spend more $$ to learn how to use it.

......Alberto, I tried to watch your video class before I posted my original question - but right when I got to where I might have learned what I was trying to figure out it demanded that I purchase the right to finish watching the video (by buying "bubbles" for cash?). So I figured I'd try to find someone on the forum that could help. Thanks, but I spent enough money on this dive computer that I shouldn't have to spend more $$ to learn how to use it.

As indicated at the beginning of the class, you can enroll in this class using 750 Bubble Credits (that you can purchase for ~$7.50), or using an Activation Code.
Activation Codes are available from participating retailers. Some retailers will give You an Activation Code at discounted price - or even for free - if you purchase a class from them.
Check with your retailer if they offer our classes.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

It took me forever to figure it out, but it's definatly HOLD down the left select button. If you just tap it, you get bookmarks out the whazoo. holding it down will get you the compass

Starcruiser - I don't have a problem getting the compass - and I've navigated all around our local park really well with my head covered!!!! My problem is locking a bearing while in the water. It just doesn't seem to work the same in the water as it does on dry land. My husband has the same issue. Maybe I need to try it in the pool, when I'm not rushed and worried about missing out on cool fish or losing track of the boat! I'm willing to try it again on our next dive. If at first you don't succeed ... I'm willing to conceded that it's probably operator error. :)

Noticed exactly the same thing with mine - the computer does behave differently when setting compass bearings in and out of the water - I haven't found a way around this. Long press to bring up the compass, short press to set the bearing and YES you do get the bookmark stored message at this point. But you also get your desired bearing.

Not sure if this is a 'bug' or a 'feature' but once you realise what's happening it's not a problem.

Enjoy using your Cobra 3, I've used it on approx 20 dives now and found to be excellent. I've also selected the less conservative setting and never once had a problem where my computer is horribly conservative as some people claim about Suuntos.

Thanks weidelk - I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it. Btw, what do people need "bookmarks" for anyway? Do they really get to a point in their dive and say "hey, I'm gonna want to remember what I was doing at this particular point in time and I'll need to know what my depth, psi and the water temp were"? I have a hard enough time remembering if I saw a lobster at the beginning, middle or end of the dive ... can't imagine remembering WHY I set a bookmark! But I'm sure there is a good reason for the function ... :)

Thought I would just ask Suunto, here is their response:
Pressing the 'select' button underwater while the compass is active will both lock a new bearing and record a bookmark. This feature functions as intended and was designed partially based on previously received feedback from divers, and partially to keep operation as simple as possible while diving.

Though I think this junks up the dive log unnecessarily it was something that they actually did in response to feedback. I still do not think it is that big of an inconvienence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom