Using CLR instead of white vinegar for reg cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The cost factor of CLR vs vinegar is a little silly to me.
Vinegar might be $2.99 ?
CLR might be $5.99 ?
A few tablespoons at most of either.
I think I better take out a loan and get a second on the house to afford that CLR!
I always have CLR around to clean shower doors and calcium buildup on faucets etc. I can't say the same about white vinegar. Wait, I just remembered, I do have some from coloring easter eggs about 6 years ago, never mind.
I guess I'll have money now to go to Starbucks tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Eric,

Like you I aquire regulators that most others would just trash, so I need a regulator bath I can soak parts in for extended times that will still get the job done and not make matters worse. As I mentioned, I use (and I'm very happy with) homemade LF Wash, but I look forward to your test using CLR which no longer contains phosphoric acid.

Eric,

Like you I aquire regulators that most others would just trash, so I need a regulator bath I can soak parts in for extended times that will still get the job done and not make matters worse. As I mentioned, I use (and I'm very happy with) homemade LF Wash, but I look forward to your test using CLR which no longer contains phosphoric acid.

What is your exact formulation?

I use ~ 4% by volume phosphoric acid, just a teaspoon each of propylene glycol (anti-freeze) and Dawn dish detergent to a quart of solution.

If using acid remember always add acid to water not vice-versa. You can get splash back at least that is what they told me in chemistry class.

To be more precise, the mixing of acid and water is an exothermic reaction (lots of heat produced) and therefore by adding the acid to the water, the water is able to better absorb that heat. Acid on the other hand is not able to absorb heat very well and may start to rapidly boil if you were to add water to it instead which would then cause potential splash back.

---------- Post added May 11th, 2014 at 09:45 AM ----------

giffenk

LOL... that post shows your lack of chemistry knowledge and your knee jerk reaction ism....

vinegar is also caustic.... it is acetic acid it has a pH of 2... hydrochloric acid (muratic acid) has a pH of 1.. not that far apart...

phosphoric acid in most soda pop is also pH 1... the same as hydrochloric acid...

i really wish people would actually do research and learn about something before making these accusations and knee jerk reactions..

CLR used to use phosphoric acid, the same as in cok a cola, and many other soda pop brands... so you will drink it but not clean parts in it....ignorant....

the acids now used are :
lactic acid... builds in your muscle tissue during exercise... guess exercise will kill you

Gluconic acid ..... it occurs naturally in fruit, honey, and wine. As a food additive (E574[2]), it is an acidity regulator. It is also used incleaning products where it dissolves mineral deposits especially in alkaline solution

and

Lauryldimethylamine oxide .... used in cosmetics.....

so the thought that is is somehow going to kill you if you use it is laughable...

Lactic acid is also what gives sourdough bread its wonderful flavor :geek:

Last edited:
ummm... sourdough.

i am often amused at the general lack of knowledge in the general public and the nee jerk reactions people have.

Part of our business is pool service/repair. you should see the look i get when i tell people they need to add 5 gallons of hydrochloric acid to their pool...

if people only realize what is in the products the CONSUME every day they would be amazed...

i get people all the time that have no clue that they drink fluorine and chlorine in their tap water.

most people have no clue that hundreds of gallons of chlorine are pumped into the local water tanks...they you drink it

---------- Post added May 13th, 2014 at 08:52 PM ----------

a detergent to break the surface tension of water,
acid to dissolve the crud

why ethylene glycol?

....a detergent to break the surface tension of water,
acid to dissolve the crud.
Exactly. It also helps to heat the solution whether you use an US cleaner or not.

.....why ethylene glycol?

....because that's what's in LFW :) I think it's in there as a penetrant.

Back
Top Bottom