Using CLR instead of white vinegar for reg cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lol...

you knee jerk tree huggers kill me...

look at a can of coke... or pepsi...

a main ingredient is phosphoric acid....

why is everyone so afraid of "chemicals"... vinegar is a chemical.. acetic acid to be exact.

you have hydrochloric acid ( muratic acid) in your stomach....

nothing at all wrong with using CLR.

just as safe as vinegar...

http://www.jelmar.com/msds/CLR_MSDS_eng.pdf
lol...

you knee jerk tree huggers kill me...

why is everyone so afraid of "chemicals"... vinegar is a chemical.. acetic acid to be exact.

you have hydrochloric acid ( muratic acid) in your stomach....

nothing at all wrong with using CLR.

just as safe as vinegar...
I hope you were being sarcastic. If not then please check your facts. You are so wrong.

I am willing to put my hand in vinegar. I will even put it on my food and eat it. Some vinegars actually taste great (thinking of balsamic here...)

At the least, CLR is Caustic. It also contains and produces stuff you should not breath. Not putting my hand in it and definitely not going on my food. It comes with a handy 5 page Material Safety Data Sheet

http://www.jelmar.com/msds/CLR_MSDS_eng.pdf
Last time I checked, vinegar did not come with a "keep out of reach of children" warning.

I'm fairly certain with a pH of 2.10, CLR is acidic and not a base, this is off their MSDS. Phos is used in coke and other food grade products but must fall under FDA food grade specs. My company provided it for Coke. He is also correct that Vinegar is acetic acid. I would also believe his point of HCL(.5%) being in your stomach.

What part of his facts were wrong?

lol...
...//...

...//...

Carbonated beverages and chronic kidney disease. [Epidemiology. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

Carbonated beverages and chronic kidney disease.
Saldana TM1, Basso O, Darden R, Sandler DP.
Author information

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Carbonated beverage consumption has been linked with diabetes, hypertension, and kidney stones, all risk factors for chronic kidney disease. Cola beverages, in particular, contain phosphoric acid and have been associated with urinary changes that promote kidney stones.
METHODS:
We examined the relationship between carbonated beverages (including cola) and chronic kidney disease, using data from 465 patients with newly diagnosed chronic kidney disease and 467 community controls recruited in North Carolina between 1980 and 1982.
RESULTS:
Drinking 2 or more colas per day was associated with increased risk of chronic kidney disease (adjusted odds ratio = 2.3; 95% confidence interval = 1.4-3.7). Results were the same for regular colas (2.1; 1.3-3.4) and artificially sweetened colas (2.1; 0.7-2.5). Noncola carbonated beverages were not associated with chronic kidney disease (0.94; 0.4-2.2).
CONCLUSIONS:
These preliminary results suggest that cola consumption may increase the risk of chronic kidney disease.

:D

I'm fairly certain with a pH of 2.10, CLR is acidic and not a base, this is off their MSDS. Phos is used in coke and other food grade products but must fall under FDA food grade specs. My company provided it for Coke. He is also correct that Vinegar is acetic acid. I would also believe his point of HCL(.5%) being in your stomach.

What part of his facts were wrong?
The safe as vinegar part...

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2014 at 10:19 PM ----------

From the label....
Do not swallow. Do not get in eyes. Do not get on skin or clothing. Do not breathe fumes. Handle with care. Keep out of reach of children. Wear rubber gloves and safety glasses. Use only in a well ventilated area....
If swallowed, call a poison control centre or doctor immediately.

Definately not in the same league as vinegar. Not going on my salad.

We're talking about cleaning regs here not eating or drinking it.
And I'm also wondering abpout a 10:1 water/CLR ratio, not 100%
Plus it would be rinsed completely clean, so no residue.
Yes I use vinegar too, but maybe CLR would do a better job?
BTW, too much vinegar in your diet can also screw you up.

I don't see what the big deal is?
Jesus, sorry I asked!

I use CLR to clean my tanks, coffee pot, shower heads and my regulators. It will darken stainless if left in it too long. After CLR use, soap and water, except for coffee pot. Be sure to use a de-greaser, then soap and water before CLR if there are oils present. Nothing cleans a spark plug like CLR. I have used it to darken bright aluminum arrow shafts before cresting. Vinegar is a poor substitute for cleaning anything. It will not remove alkaline built up on heating coils (coffee pot). It can aslo be used to clean condenser coils without the worry of pitting or corrosion or harming surrounding vegetation. Mix it to recommendation and you will be fine. Vinegar was all your momma had, today's' chemistry is great.

If using acid remember always add acid to water not vice-versa. You can get splash back at least that is what they told me in chemistry class.

As an aside. What are you guys doing to your regs that they get corroded? I never seen any on my regs. I service them myself once a year and clean the 2nd stages every 2-5 dive days if I'm diving on Milfoil remediation (viz = 0, in stirred up muck). I rinse well after every day of diving (salt or fresh). Am I missing something?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom