Using ChatGPT to write comments/posts about dive equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apparently you don't understand what Linguee does.
šŸ™„ Sure, I only know it from day one. You must have never looked at a dictionary if you think they don't have text segments and idioms. And in stark contrast to lingee, they're not full of mistakes.
Honestly, the only people I know who actually use lingee are the ones who either hardly understand the target language or are too lazy do actual research (which hardly takes longer). The same crowd that's going to end up using chatGPT for research.

ā€¦you asked me if I realized ChatGPT got the Dave Shaw story wrong, but I'd already pointed that out at the start.
You said it made up a story. I did not. I strings words together in the most likely sequence in a given context. There is no inventing of stories, no research, no making mistakes.
Why would you post that article and the interview if you didn't buy their BS?

berndo, I guess I should listen to you.

After all, someone who dismisses ChatGPT ā€“ in April 2023 ā€“ clearly has their finger on the pulse of technology.

I predict that 2023 will be a year of discovery for you.

I predict that 2023 will be a year of discovery for you.
Can't wait to see more sh_tty underwater terminator pictures, random texts and people who get super excited over it. And thanks for the amazing examples you posted.
Kinda reminds me of the people that have been telling me for ten years that we will have a reliable translation tool 'next year' ... and full self driving in 2017. šŸ˜“

Donā€™t be mad.

The Bing response is written as if by a middle school child. It does provide links however, so more substantive.
It is much better to have an essay, written by a middle school child, complete with references, so it can be verified,
than to have a well written seemingly correct answer that you cannot verify.

ā€œIt has a number of features that make it a good option for divers, including its water resistanceā€

Yup - water resistance as a ā€œfeatureā€ for a dive computerā€¦ Lol
I much prefer it waterproof.

Can't wait to see more sh_tty underwater terminator pictures, random texts and people who get super excited over it. And thanks for the amazing examples you posted.
Kinda reminds me of the people that have been telling me for ten years that we will have a reliable translation tool 'next year' ... and full self driving in 2017. šŸ˜“
These problems are mostly solvable. However people mistakenly assume that the solution implies intelligent (software).

IMO, what we're seeing with ChatGPT, is the same as any new technology people aren't used to typically resorts in magical thinking. Show an ancient tribe fire and they think you're god.

It can do a number of impressive things, and for that I'll give them props. However, it also only took me a moment to spot some of it's gimmicks. Specifically, one of it's main gimmicks appears to be that of a "plagiarism engine" mashing up texts written by real humans.

(As a side-note, for a certain product I'm working on which competes with "big-tech," I'm actually happy they're all so heavily focused on AI now, that may give me a several-year head start.)

I'm not. I feel sad for people that don't realise when they're getting hyped up by marketing babble and party tricks.
Which becomes very problematic when people start promoting the whole "skynet is about to take over" nonsense.

These problems are mostly solvable. However people mistakenly assume that the solution implies intelligent (software).
I don't think the they'll get there any time soon. The self driving, the translation, the auto research, the pictures, etc. they all seem run into the same problem. Making it look good and getting to 90% by automating the basics is one thing but the real problem lies in the last 5% or 10%. To make it great/reliable you seem to need actual reasoning, judgement or understanding or whatever you wanna call it.

The self driving car can stay on the road and stop at a light and deal with most situations just fine for a number of years now... but than you have a weird reflection on someones trailer or some shop window the car doesn't recognize and that's something they can't seem to fix.

Back
Top Bottom