Using "Air Asia."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sgtsean

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just returned from a pretty good dive trip in Thailand, Similan Islands, but felt I needed to share the experience I had using Air Asia. Bottom line, don't use them if you have luggage or anything weighing over 15kg. I purchased the tickets through another site and saved some good money on the tickets (Bangkok to Phuket). The problem started with my not reading the Air Asia site for luggage restrictions. Apon check in at Bangkok it started. They charge for having excess weight (over 15kg per person)(nothing about number of bags). They also charged for "Sporting goods" seeing my roller dive bag. After charging for the gear they then have you sign a waiver saying they pay for no breakage etc. So, why the charge?? No Clue, no one wanted to answer that question. Long story short. An ok, no frills airline, if you are going light. Stick with the parent company, Thai Airways, if you aren't. I actually would have saved money not buying the cheaper ticket.

Nok air is Thai Airways discount airline and they are just as cheap. If you show your PADI card of equivalent you get an extra 5kg. No extra charges. Good airline.

Will remember that on next trip.

How much do they charge per kilo?

Yep, I fly with Air Asia quite regularly and I must say they make travel to this part of the world alot more accessible, especially out of Thailand, Just make sure if you are going over the 15kgs you purchase the extra limit you need when you get taken through the options. Still works out good value for money!

Hi

Here is the link for Air Asia's excess bagage prices,

Welcome to AirAsia.com...now everyone can fly...

Now, Previously I looked and they said it was possible to include extra baggage per 5kg's into the cost of the flight at the point of booking. This was Air Asia Indonesia, I have looked again and they say that it will be at their discretion.

Im going to call to see what they say since I organise group dive trips and use A.A for some of my flights. In any case Nok is a good airline for Thailand, Air Asia has the rest covered at a good price as far as im concerned.

will get back to you later.

Home - Inspirational Dive Adventures

I don't think Thai Airways is the "parent" company of Air Asia; is it not a totally fully independent Malaisian company ?
As for the 15 kg, I don't why you need more than that! :)

I've used AirAsia and other budget carriers a lot on dive trips from Bangkok to elsewhere in SE Asia.

I've written up my tips on beating excess baggage penalties on Divehappy.com

Nok Air and Air Philippines are great as they have dispensations for scuba divers.

AirAsia enforce their 15kg limit religiously but if you take a print out of the Fee Schedule from their site with you to present at checkin they will let you take another 15kg on board for a flat fee of around $10 US. (Depends on which country you are flying from).

I did this recently on AirAsia hops from Bali to Jakarta and then Jak to Bangkok and both times producing the Fee Schedule got me the flat fee. If you don't have the Fee Schedule, it's quite hard to plead your case. They certainly don't advertise the allowance you entitled to.

As ever, being exceedingly polite and smiling a lot also helps.

Be aware AirAsia have just started charging 30 Baht / 50 Baht per bag checked in as well, for everyone - it's their way of trying to beat the oil prices. Not sure what that's going to do for poor divers with extra gear.

AirAsia are wholly Malaysian, although they do have a Thai arm as well. Nok Air is owned by Thai Airways.

And with Nok Air if you pay an extra 500 Baht (about 7 quid) for the 'Nok Plus' service you get 30kg baggage, a bigger seat, free snack & drink (not beer !) and a copy of ther Bangkok Post !!

Back
Top Bottom