Using a spool to return to anchor on boat dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought the OP was diving from an untended, anchored boat. Although it would be good to get clarification on that...

I thought the OP was diving from an untended, anchored boat. Although it would be good to get clarification on that...

I'm talking about a tended, anchored boat.

(Well, I aim to take my kayak out, in which case I'll be talking about an untended, anchored boat.)

But the general scenario is: we're on some charter, and it's a low-viz day, and there's a current running.

And thanks, by the way, for your detailed suggestions! That's exactly the kind of discussion I'm looking for.

Cool, we dive in the same waters, Monterey, right?

>>>>Hi all -
There are times when I definitely want to return to the anchor line on a boat dive, for instance, when the diving combines low viz and a high surface current. I figure this would be a fine time to deploy my safety spool, but I've never actually done it and am interested in your feedback. For reference, I'm talking about diving within recreational limits, in cold California water. First, do people actually do this? <<<<

Yes, I do, and for the same reasons. Poor visibility, current, etc. I wouldn't use a spool though unless I just wanted to tie off near the anchor and run it down the reef and just leave it there so that I can come back and more easily locate the anchor line. Other than that I'd use a reel.

>>>Even under strictly recreational conditions, occasionally there are dives on which I'm so preoccupied with the navigation (usually because I'm nervous about drifting down-current of the boat during our ascent, should we fail to return to the line) that I'm not really enjoying myself. (And for the sake of the question, let's assume I generally do my utmost to make a dive plan that keeps me up-current from the boat. In real life, I've blown that a few times. Usually that just means a tough swim back to the boat; but at least once I was generally afraid of being swept out of sight.) I figure, having a continuous guideline to open water allows me to enjoy cavern dives; having a continuous guideline back to the anchor might allow me to enjoy these OW dives.<<<<

Good thinking!

>>>Next, what do folks use for their primary placement? The anchor itself? And what about subsequent placements? In my limited experience with cavern diving, there were plenty of opportunities for placements; it seems like that'd also be true on your typical California reef, but what about when you're over plain old sand? And in the cavern, I don't worry about damaging fauna by accidentally making a placement on some living thing... <<<

On an attended boat, don't tie off on the anchor line. If for some reason they have to pull the anchor, you don't want your line tied to it. If the boat is unattended, then I'll tie off right onto the anchor line itself.

<<<Finally, what about surge? In the cavern setting there was definitely flow -- but at least that doesn't change directions. Certainly surge would ratchet up the possibility for entanglement, but do folks generally find that this is manageable?>>>

Surge is usually not a problem. If you're reeling out (not spooling) if the surge pushes you backward, I just take up the line a bit by reeling in and then let it out as I go forward. You definitely don't want to leave the line slack. Of course your buddy should be there to help you with any entanglements.

>>>Of course, should I miss the anchor on a dive like this, I know I can always shoot my SMB to increase my visibility to the boat. But I think I'd find greater peace of mind in finding the anchor in the first place.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts! I'm posting this to the DIR forum because I think it's more likely that DIR divers would be bringing safety spools as emergency equipment on all dives. Mods, feel free to move the thread if you think there's a more appropriate place.

Best,
Steve[/QUOTE]

If someone's aboard why not live boat it?

Sorry -- I suppose I could be more clear.

The specific scenario I'm envisioning is diving from a charter boat in Monterey Bay, with maybe 20-30 divers on board. Or, similarly, diving the northern Channel Islands on one of the Truth Aquatics live-aboards... Or maybe on one of the boats to Catalina out from Long Beach.

In these situations, typically, the captain drops the anchor and the divers go dive. There's no option to live-boat it. Maybe there's a chase boat to pick up wayward divers; maybe there isn't. Maybe there's a long, trailing current line; maybe there isn't.

When conditions are calm and clear, my navigation generally goes well. And even if it doesn't go well, I don't sweat a free ascent. However, when conditions aren't calm and clear, the navigation gets harder -- and by the same token, successful navigation becomes far more important.

I've been on a few dives where the captain, generally in a cavalier way, made some remark on the order of, "Don't get swept past the point! We'll never see you again!" Clearly I've lived to tell the tale on all such dives -- but I can't say I enjoyed myself much on them. So that said, I'm just looking for a way to have more fun when such a situation comes up again in the future.

And in the cavern, I don't worry about damaging fauna by accidentally making a placement on some living thing...

Steve, I thought we talked about not lassoing the giant bass! :eyebrow:

Cool, we dive in the same waters, Monterey, right?

Yup! In fact, we met at the Breakwater about two weeks ago -- your buddy remembered me from Kona...

me and my buddy run a 250 spool from the base of the line. i works out great for us . if the boat drifts we know it and we always have a ascent line to come up to.and if by chance we get separeted its easy to find and follow the line to your buddy.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom