Using a retractable cable with a GoPro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stanw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'd like to find a way to strap a GoPro to a retractable cable to either my wrist or my BC. Does anyone know of some sort of way to do this? Is this a bad idea for any reason?

Thanks.

I did just that with this retractable lanyard Amazon.com: Gear Keeper RT4-5913 Compact Console Retractor Large Heavy Duty Snap Clip Mount with Q/C-II Split Ring and Lanyard Accessory: Sports & Outdoors

Now this lanyard has some pretty strong return force. It retracts my gopro while attached to my GoPole together with ease. It's length is a little shorter than I would have liked though.

Maybe one with less force like this one would be good if the camera is solo. Amazon.com: Gear Keeper RT3-0092 Locking Large Flashlight and Camera Retractor Stainless Steel Snap Clip Mount with Q/C-II Split Ring Accessory: Sports & Outdoors

Keep an eye on the wear on the retractor cable. I periodically snap retractor cables from normal wear and tear, both the cable and chord types. I like to use use a two handle tray to keep the video stable attached to my bc with a snappy coil.

How are you attaching this to your GoPro?

I did just that with this retractable lanyard Amazon.com: Gear Keeper RT4-5913 Compact Console Retractor Large Heavy Duty Snap Clip Mount with Q/C-II Split Ring and Lanyard Accessory: Sports & Outdoors

Now this lanyard has some pretty strong return force. It retracts my gopro while attached to my GoPole together with ease. It's length is a little shorter than I would have liked though.

Maybe one with less force like this one would be good if the camera is solo. Amazon.com: Gear Keeper RT3-0092 Locking Large Flashlight and Camera Retractor Stainless Steel Snap Clip Mount with Q/C-II Split Ring Accessory: Sports & Outdoors

How are you attaching this to your GoPro?

The bottom of the GoPro housing has a "neck" for the tilt/base connection. The split ring on the lanyard/retractor fits around the "neck". Take out the screw on the tilt/base connection, put the split ring around the "neck", re-install the screw tilt/base connection.

The bottom of the GoPro housing has a "neck" for the tilt/base connection. The split ring on the lanyard/retractor fits around the "neck". Take out the screw on the tilt/base connection, put the split ring around the "neck", re-install the screw tilt/base connection.
I actually use these to quickly connect and disconnect any of my lanyards to the split rings: Nite Ize SB2-03-01 Size-2 S-Biner, Black - Amazon.com in various sizes.

I've zip-tied split rings to all of my mounts, I don't trust the some of the thin, cheesy lanyards they come with.

I'm looking at different retractors and am trying to decide between the type the clips to a loop on a BC like one suggested earlier Amazon.com: Gear Keeper RT4-5913 Compact Console Retractor Large Heavy Duty Snap Clip Mount with Q/C-II Split Ring and Lanyard Accessory: Sports & Outdoors

and one that pokes through a BC in case it does not have loops, like this one
Amazon.com: Gear Keeper Retractable Mic Keeper: Electronics

I will be using it on a trip and since I will be renting a BC I have no way of knowing if the BC has loops to hook one to or if they will even be OK with my poking a small hole through their BC....

1. Do you think using the one that pokes through a BC would support the weight of a GoPro and a GoPole?
2. I think all of the BCs that I have used have had loops, is it common that some do not?

Thanks.

Go with the clip retractor. Much more secure than the other one you listed.

Every BC will have some kind of loop to clip to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom