Using a non-compressible tube to reduce the negative bouyancy of a heavy doubles rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WKenny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I dive in cold water, (i.e. Lake Michigan), with double 85 cu ft steel tanks and an aluminum backplate and wing. I use a drysuit for emergency redundant buoyancy, and warmth. However, I use the wing for ordinary buoyancy control with only enough gas in the drysuit to allieviate excessive suit squeeze. The rig is pretty stripped down with no extra weight on it. However, the rig is still probably about 15-20 pounds negatively bouyant near the end of a dive with a tank pressure of about 500 psi. Accordingly, on an ascent I need to have a fair volume of gas in the wing to maintain near-neutral buoyancy, (and avoid slipping into negative buoyancy), as I ascend. I'd ike to reduce the negative buoyancy of the rig, so I could carry less gas in the wing and make buoyancy control easier on the ascent. I was thinking about adding a positively buoyant, non-compressible hollow tube on the backplate and between the tanks to permanently reduce the negative buoyancy of the rig. Then I would need less gas in the wing to offset the heavy rig so there would be less "expanding gas" to deal with in maintaining near-neutral buoyancy on an ascent. Does this idea make sense? Is there any down side to it, as long as the rig does not cross over into positive buoyancy? Thank you for your comments.

I've seen people use a piece of PVC pipe capped and placed between the tanks. It might help and failure of it would not be catastrophic.

Last edited:
What kind of tanks?

Switch to 400-450g thinsulate undergarments? :)

I think you're going to find that adding a tube between the tanks and BP will have to be very thin in order for it to fit. Subsequently, you won't be gaining very much advantage from it.

no weight belt ?
and negative 15-20 pounds ?

i have done this and it works. my creation was not perfected enough to make for easy flooding of the tube as the back gas was breathed off. or controlled enough to ensure the tank was either dry or totally wet. I had tried it with a bladder in the tube also and preasurizing it to 100psi and then venting to 0 to allow flodding the tube from a small 1/16th hole. I think just tossed it in the trash a couple weeks ago. The most functional one i made had a hose on hte top and bottom of the pvc cylendar and joined with a barbed fitting. at flood time i would pull the hose off the barb. sometimes it worked and other times not. hose collapsing.
I've seen people use a piece of PVC pipe capped and placed between the tanks. It might help and failure of it would not be catastophic.

I dive double LP steel 85's with a steel plate and 58lb wing. Drysuit with heavy undies I am just about right when they are down to 500 psi or so. I can't imagine diving them with an al plate and my drysuit. I'd have to add weight on a belt like I need to do with my DBL LP 72's. I need 8lbs on the belt with them at 500 psi. And yes I've done the checks. If I were to lose the weight belt with the 72's anyway it'd be damn hard to hold a stop at 10 feet. If I use the really heavy undies with the 85's I put 4lbs on the belt and it's dang near perfect with no trouble staying neutral.

Lp85's are about .7 lbs neg at 500 psi x 2 = 1.4lbs neg
Al plate around 2lbs
3.4 lbs add say 4 lbs for the regs you are now up around 7. Not sure where the 15-20 lbs neg is coming from. Have you actually taken fish scale and weighed the rig in the water with the tanks at 500 psi as is outlined in Doppler's book The Six Skills? Very useful technique,

The Cousteau team use non compressible floats mounted in the middle and behind the two tanks for some of their dives. I believe they were some kind of fishing float. An approate sized length and diameter PVC pipe capped on both ends should work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom