Using A Long Hose Isn't Just For Tech Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RiverRat:
We need to start a group for "rec" divers that dive "tech" gear and like to promote safe, clean diving.
Or we can just try to stop getting long hoses classified as "tech" gear then we can call the group "divers" :wink:

meisburger:
Geeze, three out of air situations! How the heck do experts end up like that? I thought you guys used DIN connectors and redundent air sources, and were very careful checking your gear every time you dive. I use crappy rental tanks, but look at the o-ring, and monitor my guages. The weird idea that tech divers are somehow not rec divers, and are great experts in everything is not borne out by the frequency of your near disasters.
Your response was at least predictable. I specifically added the words "I have donated air" to avoid the aspersions to my charater that would otherwise be associated with being involved in 3 OOA situations. You reallt should read the whole post before you make assumptions about it.

But since you brought it up, I do use DIN connectors, usually dive doubles with redundant regs and do thorough pre dive checks on each of my approximately 150 dives per year.

I should also point out that I have never personally ran out of air and that all three of the OOA divers I shared air with were in fact recreational divers with no technical training who either ran out of air or had a reg freeze up on them in cold water. The higher frequency of OOA incidents with Rec divers would seem to be a strong argument for at least considering using a long hose if you frequently dive with rec divers with limited experience.

Three OOA events is largely a matter of exposure. I have a little over 700 logged dives at present with probably another 1000 dives that were not logged in between my AOW class in 1985 and my starting to log dives again about 5 years ago. Unlike many expereinced divers, I also frequently dive with newly minted divers to help them develop their skills and with visiting divers with no buddy available. I am not hesitant to dive with a strange diver (in large part because I have redundant regs and approach each dive with the same level of self sufficiency I would as if I were solo diving) even though they are occassionally less than honest about their skills and can present a higher risk for an OOA situation.

Just one more point is that I think a long hose is much more comfortable to use as you don;t get any pull from the short hose. The pull is not really noticable untill you go back form a long hose to a short hose and try to look to your left under water. With a long hose there is not pull whatsoever.

DA Aquamaster:
Your response was at least predictable. I specifically added the words "I have donated air" to avoid the aspersions to my charater that would otherwise be associated with being involved in 3 OOA situations. You reallt should read the whole post before you make assumptions about it.

But since you brought it up, I do use DIN connectors, usually dive doubles with redundant regs and do thorough pre dive checks on each of my approximately 150 dives per year.

I should also point out that I have never personally ran out of air and that all three of the OOA divers I shared air with were in fact recreational divers with no technical training who either ran out of air or had a reg freeze up on them in cold water. The higher frequency of OOA incidents with Rec divers would seem to be a strong argument for at least considering using a long hose if you frequently dive with rec divers with limited experience.

Three OOA events is largely a matter of exposure. I have a little over 700 logged dives at present with probably another 1000 dives that were not logged in between my AOW class in 1985 and my starting to log dives again about 5 years ago. Unlike many expereinced divers, I also frequently dive with newly minted divers to help them develop their skills and with visiting divers with no buddy available. I am not hesitant to dive with a strange diver (in large part because I have redundant regs and approach each dive with the same level of self sufficiency I would as if I were solo diving) even though they are occassionally less than honest about their skills and can present a higher risk for an OOA situation.
I would be honored to dive with you if you ever come out my way!!! I'm sure I would learn a lot from you.

DA Aquamaster:

Sorry. I didn't mean to cast aspersions. Perhaps just a bit frustrated that so much effort in this thread is going into addressing a problem after it occurs, rather than trying to find ways to prevent it occuring in the first place. The truth is that a genuine out of air situation is a real emergency and outcomes will by nature be uncertain, whether you donate a three foot or a seven foot hose. But that, I guess, is a topic for another thread.

Truly, I didn't mean to attack anyone, just good-natured banter, and I'm sorry if that didn't come across.

Tim

meisburger:
Sorry. I didn't mean to cast aspersions. Perhaps just a bit frustrated that so much effort in this thread is going into addressing a problem after it occurs, rather than trying to find ways to prevent it occuring in the first place. The truth is that a genuine out of air situation is a real emergency and outcomes will by nature be uncertain, whether you donate a three foot or a seven foot hose. But that, I guess, is a topic for another thread.

Truly, I didn't mean to attack anyone, just good-natured banter, and I'm sorry if that didn't come across.

Tim

If you are squared away, OOAs should not be a big deal. Lots of people practice sharing air on every dive - if it happens for real, it's second nature.

RiverRat:
We need to start a group for "rec" divers that dive "tech" gear and like to promote safe, clean diving. I suppose that's what DIR is all about really, except they cover all the bases from DIR-F up to full cave. :eyebrow:

um, wouldn't that be the "DIR" forum ? :)

Back
Top Bottom