Using a Go Pro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kat.hayes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My friend has a Go Pro video camera that claims it is rated to 150ft.

1. Has anyone used one of these before? What did you think?
2. Any idea how you might be able to mount that to a BC or somewhere so I do not need to hold it?

Thanks.

2. Any idea how you might be able to mount that to a BC or somewhere so I do not need to hold it?

Thanks.
I have one, love it, there are mounting options available that will let you put it on just about anything (I wear it on my head.) But you need to look here for the good dope on this awesome little video camera:

Underwater Videography - ScubaBoard

Also check out the GoPro web site:

http://www.goprocamera.com/

Thanks.
Just got back from Cozumel, and one of the divers I wa with had the GoPro. He had a headband or "sling" in which he mounted his on, strapped on his head, and off he went ! He kept on the entire dive, each dive. Otherwise, keep in your hand just like a camera. Took some great video, by the way.

This little thing is surprisingly well made and the dome port of the housing together with the cameras fish-eye lens produce cool videos.
Don't expect HD videos, but it's a cool gadget for a low price to capture a entire dive where you may encounter unexpected things.

Chris

This little thing is surprisingly well made and the dome port of the housing together with the cameras fish-eye lens produce cool videos.
Don't expect HD videos...
No, you should expect HD video, as that is exactly what it is designed to produce. As far as the fish-eye lens goes, there are several aftermarket flat-lens housings available that eliminate those effects and improve focus underwater.

Build your own opinion about what she can and what not:
Video tests of GoPro HD underwater housing (merged) - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums

True: GoPro HD Hero can do 1080p HDTV recording, the GoPro Wide not
True: everybody may buy other housings to improve the pictures
True: everybody may buy a light to improve the recorded images

I find the quality of the standart housing (and this was the question) recordings underwater not so good to be called HD even if the camera sensor and processor can record that.
I belive that this degradation of the quality is due the sensor/lens and the dome port.
Anyway, i like this camera for it's tiny size and the cheap price giving the possibility to take her
everywhere and record funny and unusual pictures.

I had a client using this camera in it's oem housing on several dives during his AOWD certification and what i saw was impressive for this matchbox sized camera but not the quality what I call HD.
This for example i call HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yS-wuxkYWU&feature=related
HD is a word for recording quality and not image quality.
High-definition television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chris

I may should wrote:
Don't expect HD quality videos underwater...

Last edited:
Well, not beat a dead horse, but your personal definition of HD is not what the OP is wondering about. The bottom line is the camera will record in the industry standard HD frame size, which is 1080p. Played back on a HD monitor or TV, and you are looking at a high def image.

The question was:
My personal view and answere was: read above

Your true statement is:
The bottom line is the camera will record in the industry standard HD frame size, which is 1080p. Played back on a HD monitor or TV, and you are looking at a high def image.

My statement is:
1080p HD recorded and played back films are not necessary HQ Videos.

The HD GoPro camera with it original housing has issues with focusing under water and she need another housing (the "eye of mine"
Eye Of Mine Homepage for example) to overcome this problem.
YouTube - GoPro Hero Underwater Focus FIXED footage

Chris

Back
Top Bottom