using a filter and lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about night video/pictures. Since the only source of light is your video lights should you still use your Dive filter?

The dive/red filter you definitely DON'T need with lights.
Others depend on the color temperature of your lights. If it is a decent warm-neutral (<5500K or even better Halogen) one, no need for filters. If it is a 6500-7500K LED, an orange/shallow
filter might help the situation.

How about night video/pictures. Since the only source of light is your video lights should you still use your Dive filter?

Hi Scottyd,
It's JennPenn from Backscatter. Just wanted to chime in here on using filters with lights...
Check out this article Joel and I wrote, A Guide to Using the GoPro Hero3+ and Hero3 Underwater (this will be updated soon to reflect Hero4 cameras, but the shooting techniques, use of color-correction filters with and without lights is the same): Underwater Camera Articles: A Guide to Using the GoPro Hero3 / Hero3+ Underwater
Be sure to check out the video (scroll down to the middle of the page) which shows underwater video from Bonaire using color correction filters AND video lights.
Let us know if you have any further questions about GoPro underwater; you can contact Joel directly: joel@backscatter.com

Cheers & Happy Diving!
JennPenn

thansk - will do!

also another post mentioned the color of your lights- I am getting the morph 1000 - what color are they? I cannot seem to find - i will email HOG

Hi Scottyd,
It's JennPenn from Backscatter. Just wanted to chime in here on using filters with lights...
Check out this article Joel and I wrote, A Guide to Using the GoPro Hero3+ and Hero3 Underwater (this will be updated soon to reflect Hero4 cameras, but the shooting techniques, use of color-correction filters with and without lights is the same): Underwater Camera Articles: A Guide to Using the GoPro Hero3 / Hero3+ Underwater
Be sure to check out the video (scroll down to the middle of the page) which shows underwater video from Bonaire using color correction filters AND video lights.
Let us know if you have any further questions about GoPro underwater; you can contact Joel directly: joel@backscatter.com

Cheers & Happy Diving!
JennPenn

Great for photo's however, to each his own, I like to turn ProTune on but manual white balance, why, auto color balancing can produce a color shift right in the best part of a scene. Of course, some feel it adds more "drama" Not to mention if you are lucky enough to have two cameras and want to combine the "footage" with different color auto balance.

---------- Post added February 9th, 2015 at 11:24 AM ----------

Nope, better without as more photons will get to the CMOS without a filter.
[video=vimeo;74558760]http://vimeo.com/74558760[/video]

Great video Dauntless! Were those cucumbers laying everywhere about 1:15 to 2:00? Was this Indonesia (Epaulette tang, Moorish Idol, and ?Auriga butterfly)?

Looking forward to using my new lights on a night dive next week.

Great video Dauntless! Were those cucumbers laying everywhere about 1:15 to 2:00? Was this Indonesia (Epaulette tang, Moorish Idol, and ?Auriga butterfly)?

Looking forward to using my new lights on a night dive next week.
Kwajalein Atoll Marshall Islands. Think you nailed the fish and the sea cukes. Try to point the lights down and get reflection off the sand at night so the particulates don't make a snow storm in the video. I tried to avoid shooting into open water but you will have to find what works for you. The nice thing about the lights ( couple of D32VRs) is they are literally brighter than car headlights underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom