Using a backplate pad for storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there any kind of pocket that can be permanently attached to my wetsuit? I would rather not put shorts on over my wetsuit

Gluing doesn't work as well on wetsuits since the material deforms and tends to break the seal, but I guess something could be sewn on. But the shorts are a much better idea, since you can use them or not depending on the dive requirements.

What is your concern about putting shorts over the wetsuit, that makes you think that a permanent pocket would be a better choice? They are comfortable and work very well as long as they fit.

Gluing doesn't work as well on wetsuits since the material deforms and tends to break the seal, but I guess something could be sewn on

Glued and/or sewn works fine, there's no need to maintain a seal per se, just keep it on there for a while (usually pockets will outlast wetsuits and can be transferred to the new one, too much glue can make that difficult). You can get some with a neoprene backing/flange which I find easier to attach/remove

Glued and/or sewn works fine, there's no need to maintain a seal per se, just keep it on there for a while (usually pockets will outlast wetsuits and can be transferred to the new one, too much glue can make that difficult). You can get some with a neoprene backing/flange which I find easier to attach/remove

Yup, a minor personal choice - and in good scubaboard tradition, we must now have a flame war to the death about it...! :)

My feeling is that the shorts let you instantly add or remove nice big bellows-type pockets with bungee loops that are designed to carry lots of gear safely and conveniently, and that can't be lost. On the other hand, if you are designing the glue attachment system to be somewhat removable, then there is more of a chance that the pockets will fall off or be pulled off during a dive...

Is there any kind of pocket that can be permanently attached to my wetsuit? I would rather not put shorts on over my wetsuit

There was a recent post by Jim Lapenta on how to attach pockets to a wetsuit. The key is you need to stretch the material while gluing the pockets on.

I stow an SMB in a Halcyon Storage Pack. It is several years old so the elastic at the bottom is a little stretched out but it still keeps the pack closed.

I see backplate back pads advertised saying you can store your smb or lift bag behind them, does anyone do this? I'm looking for a storage solution for my lift bag or wetnotes but usually dive wet and have no pockets. Seems like your stuff could fall out. Any input is greatly appreciated

Back
Top Bottom