Using a 2-way radio in the water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Father

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone ever used a 2-way radio on a dive to communicate with the boat once they surface?

If so, can someone recommend a good waterproof radio & (hard or soft) case combo that are good to and beyond recreation depths?

Any tips on how to use the radio when you've reached the surface in order to minimize the amount of water it comes in contact with?

Nautilus Lifeline. Been discussed ad nauseum on the board. Do a search.

The problem with all radios is that they are only as good as their antennas. Transmission is line of sight. A radio with a 6 inch antenna will have limited effectiveness if you're in a 6 foot swell. Mind you, it will still be a lot better than yelling.

I friend of mine has a Nautilus but I don't think he's ever taken it into the water. He uses it for a backup on his little RIB. (His main VHF radio has a 12" antenna on the console... it seems to have a range of about a mile maybe. I have a 5' antenna on top of a bar so it stands about 11' above the water and has a range of 10 - 25 miles).

I think the main advantage of the Nautilus is that you can dive it without a canister and so on. It's likely as good as any other small VHF and considerably more convenient... and it has some unique features useful to divers.

Back
Top Bottom