User Review - Nova Scotia (2012) 6.5mm Semi Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheTrickster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So today, after a lot of effort, I am now an owner of a 2012 Nova Scotia, I am comparing this to my old 2009 (Red) Nova Scotia and a recently returned 2011 (All black, no pocket) Nova Scotia.

Plus Points
* Great New Zip - easier to use, I hope as long lasting
* Nice Inner lining
* Nice hard wearing material on shoulders and bum area
* Much better quality than the 2011 version (which side by side doesn't deserve the 'Nova Scotia' tag at all!) and a step up from the 2009 version too in material quality.
* Thigh pocket, to me this is a minus as I have X-Shorts, so I loose one pocket, but in general this is a good extra.

Minus Points
* Sizing - You must try on these new Nova Scotia's - I've gone from a Scubapro 'SMALL' in a 2009 suit to a 'LARGE' in a 2012 - How can they change the sizing so much - I can only presume they have changed OEM manufacturer??? i've only changed by around +5kg since 2009.
* Neck - Must be an 1" smaller than my 2009 suit, so feels tighter getting it on, but once on, all okay.
* Wrists - Again sizing..the diameter has increased and arm length decreased slightly, so they are no longer as 'tight', you can now easily get a finger or two down the seal, haven't dived it yet, so unsure on water penetration, but I've purchased some 'SMALL' 3mm Everflex gloves to go with it, so in theory the 3 seals all together on the wrist should stop much water.

All in all a good suit, and one I would recommend - just.
I raved about the 2009 version to all my students/fellow divers, this I would again recommend but with some reservations.

I loved the 2009 version so much I've been through 3 of them so I'm going to give this 2012 version a go, even with its different sizing/issues - why fix something that wasn't broken??

Hope the 2013 version is better!

* Much better quality than the 2011 version (which side by side doesn't deserve the 'Nova Scotia' tag at all!) and a step up from the 2009 version too in material quality.

Could you describe why you think the 2012 is so much better in quality? What about the 2011 version made you think it was low quality?

What do you do that has you go through a suit a year? Where did the suits fail? What are your dimensions? I ordered an XL Nova Scotia and am now concerned that it will be too small. By the chart it should be too big.

Hi Blake,

It's a better quality, because it's a much better cut (different panel sizing and shapes) there is higher quality material on shoulders and bum area, on the 2011 version it's all the same fabric. Side by side you can see the difference.

As why the 2011 is 'low' quality, its mainly the cut. Once on, for me at least. It felt like I still hanger in the suit, due to zip position and bags of material around the arm pit area.

Hope that helps

Could you describe why you think the 2012 is so much better in quality? What about the 2011 version made you think it was low quality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instructor. So the suit is heavy used.

But saying that I like a new suit every year, as the seals start to go, knees wear out a little and the zip starts to play up...this new zip looks good mind!!

Don't get me wrong the suits would last much longer - and they are now used for student hire etc.

But I like a new suit, when I feel it's time

My dimensions: 5'7" 34" Waist. 39" Chest.

I can only think pre 2011, their sizing was way off - and i never should of been a small size suit, and now they have corrected this, causing the sizing difference. So you should be okay :)

Hope that helps

What do you do that has you go through a suit a year? Where did the suits fail? What are your dimensions? I ordered an XL Nova Scotia and am now concerned that it will be too small. By the chart it should be too big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with an XL. I am 5'11", 33 Waist , 43 chest. 190lb I hope this works... Thanks for the info.

i'm 6'3 and about 190lbs too. should i go XL?

Tough Call, I would say XXL, only because of your height. As per the sizing chart. XXL 6'1" - 6'3" 215 - 235 lbs 44" - 46" 38" - 40". Since you are on the top of the height range for this size you will likely have some of the extra room taken up as the suit stretches. This is a guess of course and trying one on would be the optimal way forward...

I have a 2011, and it fits me perfectly. I was toasty warm today in about 20 degrees Celsius water. A pocket would be handy to have though..
I also wish it had sturdier material on my bum. It's a nice bum and I would like to take care of it.

20º sounds pretty (if not too) warm for a Nova Scotia. I used it in 10º and know others who use them less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom