User replaceable battery vs rechargeable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a dive computer should function without problems for 20 years. I remember first multi gas dc coming out to the market 20 years ago, since than, there are not much of technological advances except displays and some "nice to have" but not mandatory features. It is very difficult to meet 20 years requirement with a rechargeable and not user replaceable lithium battery. If you feel 10 years usage is adequate, a rechargeable should be fine.

You think it should go 20 years without ever being serviced in any way?

You think it should go 20 years without ever being serviced in any way?

Pressure sensors tend to be rated for > 100,000,000 cycles so they should last that long.

Well if the battery is user replaceable, it probably will.

Maybe. And not the same thing, but this is from the Shearwater Perdix 2 manual:

Shearwater recommends service of all dive computers every 2 years by an authorized service center

Page 68.

Nobody really seems to balk at having regulators serviced every 1 - 3 years. I'm not sure what the big deal is with having a computer serviced, including a new battery, every, say, 5 years.

Also, the Shearwater Predator came out in 2009.

One of my Predators is off being serviced (including new face plate and O-rings) right now.

I'm not TOO worried about still being able to get a Teric serviced for many years.

However, part of the reason I'm not too worried is because I think they will have parts for a Teric forever. It's because Shearwater is really good about customer service. I read elsewhere (?) that they can no longer get pressure sensors for the Petrel 2. So, customers with a P2 and a dead sensor are being offered a very good deal to upgrade to a Petrel 3. I don't know what the upgrade price is.

If my Teric dies someday and they no longer have batteries or some other part, I have some confidence that Shearwater will take care of me in some way that is very satisfcatory to me.

So, I am simply not worried about the "20 years from now with a built-in rechargeable battery" scenario.

However, part of the reason I'm not too worried is because I think they will have parts for a Teric forever. It's because Shearwater is really good about customer service. I read elsewhere (?) that they can no longer get pressure sensors for the Petrel 2. So, customers with a P2 and a dead sensor are being offered a very good deal to upgrade to a Petrel 3. I don't know what the upgrade price is.

If my Teric dies someday and they no longer have batteries or some other part, I have some confidence that Shearwater will take care of me in some way that is very satisfcatory to me.
I agree partially. I do think that at some point, they will not have parts available. That's just inevitable with electronics. Dive computers are a niche product, so unlikely to be able to keep some parts in production. However, I absolutely do agree that Shearwater will take care of their customers at that point. So, even though they may not be able to fix a Teric, I'm sure they would offer a reasonable upgrade to a Teric 2.

Maybe. And not the same thing, but this is from the Shearwater Perdix 2 manual:

"Shearwater recommends service of all dive computers every 2 years by an authorized service center"

Page 68.

Nobody really seems to balk at having regulators serviced every 1 - 3 years. I'm not sure what the big deal is with having a computer serviced, including a new battery, every, say, 5 years.
The first few paragraphs of that section of the manual that came with my Petrel has identical wording, but it appears the paragraph you quoted about a recommended service interval was added in later editions of the manual. Same computer. They just decided later that my computer should have a recommended service interval. No, it doesn't surprise me. Irks me, but doesn't surprise me.

"Nobody really seems to balk at having regulators serviced" every few years? Maybe I live in a SB bubble, but from what we see here you'd think learning to service one's own regulators is more popular than ever. The "right to repair" and all that. I learned to repair my regs because I couldn't see myself shelling out $1000 to have all my regs serviced every two years or whatever.

Just wait, soon it will all move to a subscription model. You never truly buy the thing but rather just keep paying forever. That's the new model for everything. Why not scuba gear.

I just found out my ancient "not very" smart phone needs a battery replacement. Unfortunately, the battery has been discontinued for several yrs. So I might need to buy new phone with build in battery.
I have been using Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox since 1997 and even learnt how to replace the battery. And I am not aware that it requires any services at all. I also has a Oceanic Veo 180 for several yrs and had never received any notice for service.
I thought only computer has issue with upgrading eg. Android, Apple and Window. Window would not support my ageing Window 7. I really resent that.
All my 3 dives computers are battery replaceable(user).

For an automatic mechanical dive watch like Rolex, recommended service interval is 10 years or so. To me, those mentioned intervals for an electronic device do not make sense.
Would you not mind if you had to send your dc overseas, say, to Switzerland for a service? Alone insured transport would cost you couple of hundred bucks, let alone hassle and cost of getting it through the customs.
There is no guarantee Shearwater will not be sold to a Chinese company and scale down, reduce the quality of the service. 20 years ago, Suunto was great at service and support, at least in Europe. Over the years this has changed.

I think those recommended services are a CYA move to get some extra money flowing it. Clean the sensor, replace seals and cash a check. If you have 10% of the customers do that on 100,000 units, it is keeping your service department busy and you making more money. Service them when they work fine is better than waiting for them to come in on a repair (which might even be warranty work) . I don't blame them, but I also have never bothered to send in a computer for factory service either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom