Useful LP vs. HP Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JMO: Lots of thoughts, preferences and misconceptions about the two. I have used both, I went with the HP. The reason? Simply because the diameters of all my tanks, whether aluminum or steel, are all the same now. (No big deal)
Contary to belief, HP tanks are just as capable of being overfilled as low pressure, (although you may be stressed to find a compressor/shop to do it!). I have heard that overseas they routinely fill HP tanks to nearly 5000 psi with no problems.
It IS a myth that HP systems damage regs. Totally stupid. Think about it: The only pressure against your first stage seat is what? The I.P. (It doesn't change!) The seat only feels approximately 140 psi, irregardless of the inlet pressure. The reg doesn't know or care what the inlet pressure is......simple.
There is a distinct advantage that you CAN usually carry more air with LP tanks, since it's easier to get someone to overfill them for you. (I'm sure many of you 'seasoned' cavers, like me, have seen 104's filled to 4800 psi)
Another advantage of LP tanks: If you use a LP steel O2 bottle it is easier to fill it with pure oxygen directly off a full bottle, due to the pressure drop.
Again, lots of choices and lots of opinions. I guess that's why they make both types.
Norm:doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom