Useful knots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good links, Pete. Thanks!

Is the Zeppelin Bend an uncommon knot? It's not mentioned in the book, but it seems remarkably handy nevertheless. What's your experience with it?

BTW, if you happen across any good online illustrations of the Multiple Overhand Knot, please let me know and I'll edit it into the original post. It's also called the Blood Knot, but all the online illustrations I could find were from flyfishers and involved two lines.

If you'd like to tie your own bungee necklace, the Water Knot works quite well.

Take a length of bungee, tie two loose overhand knots (A & B) separated by 3-4" on one end, then run the other end through the first overhand knot (A) and tie a loose overhand knot (C) just inside the first (A). Then run the end through the next knot (B) and tie another overhand (D). Tighten as necessary (A matches up with C, B with D), leaving a small loop between AC and BD for the mouthpiece of your reg.

Of course, you could always order an assembled one or use zip-ties to make your own. :)

I chose the first option, but after one of them untied, I decided to learn how to recreate it.

I allow space between the two knots to capture the mouthpiece. Works great, and I know they just won't slip!

BTW, I do use quite a few "Climbing" knots. They just will not slip and have been proven over time under serious loads.

Knot Here, Knot Now, Knot Ever... Knotheads!!!

Never heard of the Zepplin Bend but it looks mighty familiar - I also used to do a lot of rock climbing and sailing - but I can't put my finger on it just now...

Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom