Used Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been on a serious spending tear since I got back into diving, and I'm thinking it tie to buy my own tank(s). I'll be going doubles... eventually... and have pretty much decided on HP100s; one to start, another later for doubles (tho later may be as much as a year away).

They're fairly expensive, of course, at about $330 each, especially with two... and all the associated costs of going double later down the line.

There's a scuba swap meet near me this weekend, and there's always ebay and gear boards (like the one here on SB). What are people's opinions on used tanks? Not worth the risk, or totally worth it? Am I going to have any trouble later finding a matching tank when I'm ready to pick up a second?

It's a good way to get tanks for less than the cost of new ones. As long as there in current vis and hydro they are most likely fine. Be sure to do your homework and know the cost of a new tank before you buy it, and watch the shipping charges. Even an older tank out of hydro may be a good deal, as long as the seller agrees to take it back if it fails a vip or hydro. I just sold two HP 100 PST galv. tanks for 400 bucks, a good deal for the buyer, and there are more out there. Dont give up checking the prices on new tanks eather, I just picked up 2 new Worthington 119's at LP for under 600 bucks shipped, I just cought them on a special. There are only a fiew makers of steels, so you should'nt have a lot of trouble matching them, the only problem may be availability of them when you're ready to buy the second one.

If you get a good price then great ... make sure the tanks have a current Hydro and have been VIP within the last year. Stay away from older alumnium because of the metal problems but a good set of steel should be fine. Check out the prices on the online sellers to get a idea of what they should be selling for new .....but I would never buy tanks online due to their high shipping costs.

Steel 100s are a nice tank to dive. They have good bouyancy characteristics. I own about two dozen tanks, most of which I have picked up as used tanks. I have been lucky on the tanks I have bought. I always try to open up the steel tanks for an inspection to look for rust, water etc.. If I spot a tank at a flea market I sometimes am not able to inspect it. I will take a chance on it if the price is very cheap, and it appears well maintained and has a bell like tone when you pick it up by the valve and hit it. Rusty tanks won't "ring" the same as a clean tank. I would avoid tanks owned by cave divers as I know some folks that have bought used cave tanks that "barely" passed hydro. Some cavers tend to overfill their tanks a bit. I am a PSI cylinder inspector so I feel OK on visually inspecting a tank, but the hydro is the real test. I have never had a used tank I've purchased fail hydro. I also have a lot of old vintage tanks I use with diving double hose regulators that are still going strong. A couple of them are over 50 years old. Hard to go wrong with a steel tank if they are taken care of. You should have no trouble getting a second tank down the road as there are a lot of 100 tanks around for sale. Look for a tank currently in hydro that has been stored with air in it.

Great, thanks!

Current price pretty much everywhere I've looked is $330 for a new HP 100.

XS at LeisurePro

XS at DiversSupplyUSA

And Pressed Steel at Hollywoodivers, which just happens to be my LDS. So needless to say, if I buy new, I'll be going there and avoiding any potential rip-offs and shipping charges, and getting the warm fuzzies you get from supporting your LDS. :)

That said... used seems to be the way to go, for tanks. I've already spent over $2k at my LDS this year, so they can live without my business on this one. LOL

dbg40:
It's a good way to get tanks for less than the cost of new ones. As long as there in current vis and hydro they are most likely fine. Be sure to do your homework and know the cost of a new tank before you buy it, and watch the shipping charges. Even an older tank out of hydro may be a good deal, as long as the seller agrees to take it back if it fails a vip or hydro. I just sold two HP 100 PST galv. tanks for 400 bucks, a good deal for the buyer, and there are more out there. Dont give up checking the prices on new tanks eather, I just picked up 2 new Worthington 119's at LP for under 600 bucks shipped, I just cought them on a special. There are only a fiew makers of steels, so you should'nt have a lot of trouble matching them, the only problem may be availability of them when you're ready to buy the second one.
Drat! Let me know when you get ready to unload the next two. :wink:

I've purchased several used tanks over the years with no problems. If they are out of Hydro I factor that into the price I will pay and the risk that it won't pass hydro. I always check them out carefully before I buy them and I look inside if I can. I bought 2 tanks at a garage sale for $20. One steel 72 and one Al 80. Both passed hydro and vip. My total cost was about $45 per tank. That was about 5 years ago and they are both still in service.

Sweet! That swap meet I mentioned just happened at an LDS (Sport Chalet, actually) and I was able to pick up a HP steel 100 for $150, with current hydro, just inspected last Friday, and in nice overall condition! It doesn't have the nifty convertable DIN/Yoke valve like the new ones do, but my reg is set up for DIN anyway, so it only would have made it easier to loan out to DIN-less friends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom