Used Steel HP Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LobstaMan

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have never purchased used steel tanks, but I have been looking and recently found two HP steel 100s in the local Want Advertiser. I am going to the seller's home on Sat to check them out. The seller doesn't know much about the tanks as the owner was her son who had an untimely passing(non-scuba related). Any helpful hints on what to look for/avoid when I see them on Sat? Supposedly they're HP 100s. I know steel has the double 'A' symbol, but where exactly would be the stamps signifying working pressure, size, etc? Thanks for your responses.

LobstaMan

LobstaMan:
I have never purchased used steel tanks, but I have been looking and recently found two HP steel 100s in the local Want Advertiser. I am going to the seller's home on Sat to check them out. The seller doesn't know much about the tanks as the owner was her son who had an untimely passing(non-scuba related). Any helpful hints on what to look for/avoid when I see them on Sat? Supposedly they're HP 100s. I know steel has the double 'A' symbol, but where exactly would be the stamps signifying working pressure, size, etc? Thanks for your responses.

LobstaMan

Yahoo is your friend....Go there...to yahoo.com

type in "scuba tank markings" and click search...click on the first link...appropriately titled "Scuba tank markings...How to read tanks"

Make sure to understand the hydro and VIP status...If a tank is out of hydro and can't pass, its a doorstop or a fancy wind chime...In any case, an out of hydro tank may not be worth much.

:banana:

Hay Lobsta,

I think the woman you're looking at buying the tanks from is the same one I just bought a pony bottle from. The story about the "untimely passing" is the same thing she told me. The bottle I bought was pretty rough looking on the outside, it was well used, but was still in good shape and was just hydro'ed in April. If the hydro date is as recent as that then it's a good bet that the tank is probably in good shape. If you still have concerns about what shape the tanks are in take them to a LDS and have them take a look inside. It'll only cost you about $10 or $15 per tank but it's money well spent to make sure the tanks are still in good shape.

You can do a quick check -

Note the latest hydro date and the earliest hydro date. This will give you an understanding of the age of the tank and let you know if you need to get it hydro tested.

Remove the boot and check for external rust.

Check the outside for marks that would indicate being hit, acid or fire damage.

Put the tank on the ground and roll it. Does it roll evenly and can you hear stuff rattling around on the inside.

With the owner's permission - remove the valve and check the threads on the valve. Check the operation of the valve. Make sure that the dip tube is metal and secure.

Put a piece of clean paper on the ground and invert the tank onto it. Does any rust fall out.

Shine a light into the tank and check the bottom of the tanks Is it rusty? A light patina of rust (flash rust) is OK but pits, cracks or "goopy" rust is bad.

Put everything back together - nicely.

If it looks good and the price is good - go for it. Remember that you will have to get it hydro'd (if the last hydro date is more than 5 years ago) and professionally visually inspected and factor that into the price.

Internal rust may not mean that the tank is trash - the rust may be removeable by tumbling but that may be too costly on top of the cost of the tank.

What everyone else said is correct. Most people that list HP tanks don't really know what that means. The working pressure of the tank should be stamped on the neck area. Age doesn't matter as much with steel tanks so even if it's an old tank(s) it may still be good. If it's out of hydro explain that to the seller and bargain for a lower price since you will have to have it hydroed. Look for deep dents or gouges on the outside of the tank, they would be a problem. Surface scratches don't matter much. On some older tanks the burst disc assembly may need to be upgraded so keep that in mind as well. If the tanks still have air in them then it's a good sign. If they are totally empty you will need to look inside before buying them. Light surface rust can be tumbled out but deep pits cannot.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom