Used steel 100?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hellojello

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I'm currently in the market for a used steel 100. I'm currently looking at an older Sherwood steel 100 that's out of hydro and vip. How much would be a reasonable offer? Thanks in advance.

depends on who made the tank, condition, and what type of valve.

It might be a "ashai" japanese spun steel for example. These are not as popular as other tanks.

Sherwood used to re-label "ashai" tanks with their logo on them.

Figure your hydro will cost you $25 on average, plus $10 on average for a Vis, plus $5 on average for the first air fill. So you'll have to initially easily pay $40 bucks (or more) just to put the tank in service after you buy it.

Thanks for the quick reply. So, worse case scenario, it's an ashai tank. How much would it be worth then? I'm still a new diver, so I'm not stressing the details yet. I'm just looking for a larger capacity.

Hi, I'm currently in the market for a used steel 100. I'm currently looking at an older Sherwood steel 100 that's out of hydro and vip. How much would be a reasonable offer? Thanks in advance.
$75, for an 'older' steel 100, needing hydro and VIP.

That depends on whether it passes hydro and vip.

I'd offer the owner $20 no-questions-asked
or
$75 if it passes both tests and nothing if it doesn't.

Terry

Thanks for the quick reply. So, worse case scenario, it's an ashai tank. How much would it be worth then? I'm still a new diver, so I'm not stressing the details yet. I'm just looking for a larger capacity.

I'm just not a fan of th Ashai tanks.... (that's just me, but other folks might agree).

so since I'm not a fan of them, I'd prob stop short of $75 and offer $50 (since you've got to spend at least $40 getting it back in service).

(Note: this is assuming that they are Ashai (or Asahi if I spelled it wrong) tanks in the first place. If it's a Worthington, it's worth more used. the newer Fabers are good used, but I'm a little less enthusiast about the older ones... (again that's just me, but I'm sure others might agree). It could be an OMS (which I think is re-labeled Faber or a PST tanks also).

If it's an Asahi, you could easily sell it here for $100 to $150 after you get it serviced though... (maybe a little more, especially on ebay).

so... can you get the numbers off the side of the tank so we can help you identify it?

if it's an Asahi then they will look like this:
DOT-E12079-3500 TP5250 SPUN JAPAN
EKHR-16604 M7901 its 1-01 GENESIS ST 100​

The easiest way to identify the above tank as an Asahi is that it's a Genesis (which is same as Sherwood) and the words SPUN JAPAN, which indicates it's a SPUN steel cylinder which Asahi makes in Japan.

Genesis and Sherwood also re-labeled and sold PST tanks. So this could be a PST tank also....

For comparision, you can buy a new Worthington HP100 for $345 (list price) and maybe a little more with some undisclosed discounts. Faber FX100's run $259 when they are on sale at Divers Direct, which is about every 3-6 months, or about $350 normal price.

Also things to take into comparison is the weight and buoyance characteristics of the tanks and also the known issues with finnishes or rusting....

The Asahi tanks are much heavier and also more negative than say a Worthington and reports of more rusting issues with them.

Here are some threads that you might find worth reading if these tanks for sale are Asahi.

First off note that Asahi's DOT Exemption expires in Feb 2010. So unless they get it renewed, which they likely will do, you've got a 100cf paper-weight. That's less than 2 years from now....
http://hazmat.dot.gov/sp_app/special_permits/docs/12000/SP12079.pdf (note this is for Asahai E 12079 tanks)

Here are some other threads.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ta...uld-i-buy-these-japanese-asahi-120-tanks.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ta...-pst-worthington-asahi-what-am-i-getting.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-bands/249496-sherwood-vs-worthington-steel-tanks.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-bands/225374-another-steel-tank-question-genesis.html

For more threads, just put Asahi or Ashai (as it's often mispelled) into the search engine here....

Hope this is all helpful. Get the numbers off those tanks and that will tell you a lot. (or post them here and others will help you tell what they are).

-mike

Back
Top Bottom