Used Sherwood Wisdom 2 value

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GearheadExplorer85

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone,

A dive buddy wants to sell me his used Wisdom 2 for $500 CDN. Here is what I know so far:

- Bought in 2011 (says on the box that its the 9125 series)
- 150 dives overall.
- My dive buddy can't find the USB cable so I can download profiles. I am assuming this is not included in the price.
- Buttons are all functional
- There is some wear and scratches over the whole thing, but overall I think it looks to be in good shape for the amount of dives it has been on.

So is $500 a reasonable price for this condition?

I'm not particularly familiar with that computer, but it sounds a bit steep to me. I did a quick search for completed listings on ebay and found several like new wisdom 3's that sold for about $500... My rule of thumb is about 50% of retail if its pretty current gear and decent shape, but out of warranty. It looks like in the US it was about $800, so its possible it was close to $1000 here.

150 dives and scratches aren't a huge deal, but certainly reduce the value. It also looks like a single gas nitrox computer so not all that capable as far as modern computers go. I'm in the market for a new computer and am thinking shearwater, but that's probably not on your radar. I'm getting rid of my Hoseless AI Aeris computer which is older, but probably comparable in features because I want more control and info on the algorithm and the multiple gas mixes.

I used to have that computer; really liked it as a console computer (I've since moved to a wrist computer and would recommend this route instead). However, $500 is steep for one. Check the SOLD listings on Ebay for what other Wisdoms (not necessarily 2s) are going for (there's one that is "New in the Box" that went for $350).

I'm not particularly familiar with that computer, but it sounds a bit steep to me. I did a quick search for completed listings on ebay and found several like new wisdom 3's that sold for about $500... My rule of thumb is about 50% of retail if its pretty current gear and decent shape, but out of warranty. It looks like in the US it was about $800, so its possible it was close to $1000 here.

150 dives and scratches aren't a huge deal, but certainly reduce the value. It also looks like a single gas nitrox computer so not all that capable as far as modern computers go. I'm in the market for a new computer and am thinking shearwater, but that's probably not on your radar. I'm getting rid of my Hoseless AI Aeris computer which is older, but probably comparable in features because I want more control and info on the algorithm and the multiple gas mixes.

I was given the receipt for it, and my dive buddy paid 1000 for it in 2011. I know for a fact there is no warranty on it. I actually tried it out today and I am happy with it, but I am thinking of trying to lower the price 50-100 based on what you guys have told me.

Don't know why I never thought about looking at ebay. Just looked at it and saw the sold listings for W2 in near new condition for less than 400. I was going to buy it, but I am going to offer him 350 now. I'll tell him that I found that price on ebay. If he doesn't accept that, then no deal.

I used to own a Wisdom 2. It "bit the dust" after about 80 dives. Beware of pushing the buttons under water too much. If fine sand gets in and around the buttons it can create problems as relayed to me by a Sherwood rep. I do like the the Wisdom as it is easy to use and read. Really not much difference between the 2 and 3, maybe more memory in the 3. I think $500 is steep for a used one. I think $200-$300 is more reasonable depending on condition. Find out what the going price is for used ones in same condition. I bought my first W2 from a dealer for $550.

There are some new ones for sale pretty cheap on ebay that have no warranty. Without getting into a long story, I bought one but then resold it because the Sherwood rep made me great deal to upgrade to a W3 with warranty to replace the W2. The one I got on ebay looks 100% of what they are from a dealer with box and papers, etc.

For $500, there's a lot to choose from. Shop around.

I used to own a Wisdom 2. I think I sold it on eBay for around $350 CDN. It had the quick disconnect, a compass and a pouch to put the computer in when not in use. The USB cable for it is optional and always sold separately. So it is not surprising to find one with no cable.

$500 seems a little steep to me. The Wisdom 2 is discontinued and they now sell the Wisdom 3 for around $800 CDN. If you shop around you can find people selling unused Wisdom 2 computers (old stock) with a full warrantee for under $500. Your friend probably paid $800 for it if they bought it new; Wisdom was $800 until they came out with the Wisdom 2. When the Wisdom 2 came out it was $800 and discontinued Wisdom was $500. Now the Wisdom 3 is $800 and the Wisdom 2 is $500.

I'd say $400 is a good price but you can shop around and find better deals. Or you can pay $500 with free shipping and a full warrantee.

Back
Top Bottom