Used Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Mitchem

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Picking up this used rig from one of my guys who is leaving Hawaii
first- what would you all consider a fair price for this? And does anyone have any manuals on these?

IMAGE_E36E79D1-1720-4BFA-B008-EE5187D1D6D0.jpgIt's a dacor HP with a
Dacor XLB Pacer. The octo is an aqualung
IMAGE_A44A0F3E-3116-4561-A3F8-274DC26BEE1E.jpg

IMAGE_95872620-99C4-4659-8851-33B64C4FFC67.jpg

Are you going to use it or hang it on the wall for display? Dacor is dead. Parts are very hard to come by more and more and unless it's been recently serviced and good for a couple more years I'd offer him 50 bucks and keep it as a back up to be used only when nothing else is available.

Scratch that - I also see obvious signs of corrosion around the second stage connection so it has not been very well cared for as that is easy to keep at bay even diving salt water regularly. If he gives it to you fine, otherwise you can do better.

Mares bought Dacor several years ago.
Dacor repair parts were destroyed by Mares when they bought out Dacor.
This also means that it likely hasn't been serviced in years.

Jim beat me to it LOL

Mares bought Dacor several years ago.
Dacor repair parts were destroyed by Mares when they bought out Dacor.

I never heard that before and it doesn't make a lot of sense. Certainly I can see them not investing in producing new parts, but why would they destroy parts rather than sell them? I have no first hand knowledge, but I really can't see the benefit for them in doing that.

Mares did make an effort to accommodate Dacor owners with a trade in promotion, not the best deal, but something.

The trade promo was ran for a limited time period and caused the owner of a Dacor reg to trade it in for partial credit toward Mares reg purchase.
Thus, a consumer that purchased a Dacor reg would find that when service was due that they would be offered to spend a couple hundred on the trade.
This was profit orientated. I for one will not purchase anything with Mares name on it in fear that they will quit offering repair parts.
Then offer me a lame substitute for a cure.
I buy gear with the intention of having it around for a while, and don't enjoy replacing it for some corporation's improved bottom line.

Wall hanger only. Looks like an aqualung octo so that will have value but it will cost more to service than just buying a good quality HOG setup from Jim.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

For regs (and deals) such as that, I usually suggest only someone who is into DIY to purchase it. However, dsenloe View Profile: dsenloe - ScubaBoard a regular poster here can probably advise you better than most of us. Here is a quote from a recent post of his.

Contrary to the still existing myths, Most [and I say most] Dacor regulators can be repaired/refurbished. It is understandable that a dive shop not familiar with them, and without access to parts, would not want to spend valuable time on a line of regulators that it cannot easily support.
The main concern with buying obsolete gear is the supply of "hard" parts not usually associated with a regular service or overhaul. For the Extreme series, and this include Extreme, Extreme plus, Quantum and Enduro, the LP hoses are specific to that line of second stages. There is also the issue of the second stage orifice which in my opinion is too easy to damage through abuse/neglect. I think there will be a supply of second hand parts through eBay for quite a while. If your friends reg is in good condition, tell him to dive with it. They were great breathers even of they were a little too complicated Regards Scott

I never heard that before and it doesn't make a lot of sense. Certainly I can see them not investing in producing new parts, but why would they destroy parts rather than sell them? I have no first hand knowledge, but I really can't see the benefit for them in doing that.

Mares did make an effort to accommodate Dacor owners with a trade in promotion, not the best deal, but something.

Dacor of Northfield Il was purchased and moved by Mares to the NE. They did not move the tooling used in making the components.
Dacor had a nightmare revision list of HP seats in their diaphram regulators and almost no interchangability of parts between models.
After Sam died they must have held engineering contests to see who could come up with the strangest designed model that required the most 0 rings.

The only thing in the rig that would be difficult to service is the first stage. The rest of rig should be usable. I would say the octo is worth $30-$40, the XLB $20-25, and the gauges $20. So somewhere around $75 would be fair.

The first stage could be a hassle to service, I would ask the seller where he has it serviced and then contact the shop. It could be possible the shop has some Dacor parts left or purchases reproductions. Northeast Scuba Supply does sell the high pressure seats for the first stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom