Used Regs: What to watch for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kingsley Zissou

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everybody

I am a newbie looking at some of my options for acquiring my first set of gear. My question for you today is this:

What should I look out for when considering a used regulator?

Here is a list of things I would normally consider whether buying new or used:

Fit/comfort
Ease of breathing
adjustments?
Warrantee?
Service schedule?
Brand and model reviews

What is missing from this list?

Specifically, I am looking at a decent deal on an Atomic Z2 with about 50 dives on it. My LDS does sell and service atomic gear.

Thanks

Price. ;-)

Warrantee on a used regulator usually does not apply. Warrantee on a new regulator is usually a rip off because in order to maintain it, you have to have it serviced annually or biennially. Either find someone you really trust to look at the regulator with/for you or search this forum for advice on how to check and inspect yourself.

Here is a recent link you may find helpful:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/221703-reg-service.html

c

Aqualung and Scubapro are two of the very few companies that provide excellent long term parts and service support of discontinued regulators. What ever you buy, be sure that you can get it serviced.

Well, you're certainly going high end for your first reg. In terms of evaluating the reg for comfort and breathing performance, you'd have to dive with it first. How it feels and breathes on land is not really going to tell you anything significant. In terms of evaluating the condition of the reg, you're gong to need to show it to a tech you can trust, have him take a look (preferably inside, but try getting a seller to agree to letting you take the reg apart before buying) and if it's in decent shape, fine. There's almost nothing that can't be fixed, and Atomic is a really good company, so chances are it's worth buying as long as the price is right.

I buy all kinds of gear used but I wouldn't recommend a new diver buying a used reg as their first purchase. If you insist on the used route, buy from a trusted local source, be sure all claims (purchase date, last service date, etc) are backed by documents, and get it checked out by a good tech.

I think the best thing to do when buying your first reg,is to see if local dive shop will let you try out a balanced reg and also a unbalanced reg.
This will help you to see the difference.
I would recommend for a new diver to get new.
You dont have to buy the most high price reg to get performance.
you can get a enviromentaly sealed balance reg for about 3- 375.00
Most of the Guys on the board that buy used regs are very experienced when comes to servicing there own equipment.
If you are a new diver get some experience diving without the worry first.
then experiment with used gear.
Aqualung,scubapro,sherwood.oceanic are some good brands but there are many more that are just as good.
The brands i mentioned can be serviced about anywhere in the world.:D

General condition, since as has been posted, you should have them serviced as soon as you buy them! I would never dive a regulator that wasn't mine without knowing it was serviced!

I will chime in, and say pretty much the obvious thing: if you do decide to get a used reg, have it overhauled completely before you dive, even in the pool.

DO NOT take into account things people might tell you when they sell a used regulator to you. For example: "oh this reg was serviced two days ago", or "this reg has been on only 2 dives" , etc etc. If you like a particular used piece of equipment and feel that you need it, buy it. Then make sure take it to tech you thrust and have used before (or if you are new to the game ask for a referral) and have it overhauled, both first and second stages.

Otherwise there is nothing wrong with buying used equipment, not everyone can afford new stuff especially if you are looking at Atomic gear.

Nevermind. Mods please delete this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom