Used OS Systems suit.. what do I need to inflate it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krakilin

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I bought a used OS Systems drysuit recently. The problem is I have no idea what to buy to inflate it?

I made the mistake of bidding on a power inflator off of Ebay. I realized that a corrugated hose probably will not work...

Edit: I just realized there's an actual button on the front of the suit... :p So I just hook up a hose straight to the 1st stage and thats it?

You need a drysuit inflator hose. One end of the hose is connected to a LP port on your first stage regulator. The other end is attached to the drysuit inflator valve. I'm not familiar with the inflator valves on OS System drysuits, so I'm not sure that it uses a standard connector. Be forewarned that there are drysuit inflator valves out there that require a non-standard fitting.

When you buy a new drysuit, an inflator hose will generally be included with the purchase (kind of like a BCD). Since the drysuit you have is used, I guess the owner didn't want to part with his hose.

If you need to purchase a standard inflator hose, I can recommend the 32" version of this particular one. It has a nice connector that one can operate with thick gloves. Good price, too.

Thanks Bubbletrubble! I'm trying to cut as many corners as I can so if all I need is the hose and I can just push that button to release the squeeze that will be perfect. (I'm going to use a BC with it)

The inflator does use a standard connector

Were you able to test out the suit before buying it?
Used drysuits with zipper issues or multiple leaks are not worth the trouble IMO.
Also, with used drysuits, many don't get the proper fit that they really need for drysuit diving to be comfortable.

How many dry dives do you have if any? Just pushing the button will do more than relieve the squeeze. It may send you straight to the surface like a missile if you don't know what you are doing. There is also another valve on the shoulder that lets air out. It is adjustable. Please do not dive the suit until you find someone to help you with all the little tricks to diving dry. You could end up in a bad way real quick. I am also hoping that your buoyancy control is very good to start with. If not, work on it before going dry.

Thank you for all of the concern and suggestions!

I just have my OW cert and I will be taking the advanced OW course to learn how to properly use the drysuit. Then again my friend that works at Sea World scrubbing tanks said that any class above OW is a waste of money.

I have 4 dives wet and 0 dry. I'm not sure about leaks but it looks to be in awesome shape.

Here is the one I bought if you guys want to check it out: OS Systems Commercial Diving Drysuit - Needs Repair - eBay (item 380169779075 end time Oct-26-09 17:34:14 PDT)

JimLap's concerns should be taken to heart. Be careful. You're a brand new diver. The impact of a good instructor should not be discounted. Ideally, you'll have a bunch of dive buddies who are experienced in diving dry. That can help immensely. Depending on the mentoring involved, it may be even better than taking a formal drysuit class. That being said, I took a drysuit class locally and I found it worthwhile.

One of my buddies did just fine without taking the class...but he was surrounded by a bunch of people who had tons of drysuit experience. He also had 100+ dives in a wetsuit, great buoyancy, and spot-on horizontal trim. Your experience level is different. This will likely affect your learning curve on the drysuit. If the fit is not good with your suit (too baggy in the legs, in particular), you might be susceptible to trapping air in your feet. Inverted recovery is a critical skill to master in order to dive dry safely. This is even more of an issue with a drysuit that has attached boots, like yours.

I'd recommend doing a bunch of shallow dives (20 - 30 fsw) at La Jolla Shores. It's an ideal location to practice with the drysuit (flat, sandy bottom + easy entry/exit). That's the site where you were probably certified, so it should be familiar. There isn't much to see in the shallows, but it would be time well spent learning how to operate the drysuit. It can be helpful to study drysuit literature designed for a formal class. See if your buddies can set you up with this kind of material.

Please don't do any of your early drysuit dives off of a boat at a site like the Yukon. We don't want to be reading about you in the Accidents & Incidents forum.

On the Ebay auction page, there's no mention of the condition of the zipper. Presumably it's a back-zip. If it's not in good condition (bent teeth and/or leaking), it can cost a pretty penny to fix ($250-$300). Even a DIY fix will cost over $100 just for a replacement dry zipper.

Good luck with the suit...

Last edited:
You need to take the class or find an experenced drysuit diver to teach you how to dive a drysuit. Drysuits are not that hard to dive but if you don't know what you are doing you can get into some real trouble. To name a few specific problems witha drysuit: You can become overly positive and rocket to the surface. Become inverted underwater if air gets trapped in your legs. Become inverted at the surface with your legs straight up in the air and your head underwater. Take the class and enjoy it.

I would listen to what jim has to say. I do not know him, however I have read his posts for some time and he gives good advice. He is a knowlegeable instructor.

Contrary to what your tank scrubbing friend says, classes beyond OW are more than worth it with a good instructor.

Alot of new divers do not know what they do not know. Seek out mentors and good instructors and listen to them. The mentors/instructors should have lots of varied dive experience (different environments, temps, depths, locations, etc).

PS. The AOW classes I am aware of are not intended to teach drysuit diving.

Back
Top Bottom