used nitrox tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan T

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
i am looking to buy two used nitrox tanks. my guestion is can i drain the nitrox and use these tanks for regular air?

So long as they are under current Hydro and carry a current VIP....I assume you are just talking standard scuba air. Why are you looking for nitrox tanks may I ask?

Yes, but if you want to use them for higher mixes you'll need to get them cleaned before you can use them for nitrox again.

Yes.

the K

Yes, but if you want to use them for higher mixes you'll need to get them cleaned before you can use them for nitrox again.

That is not necessarily true: as long as the air you are getting is nice and clean, you should have no need to drain and refill.

After all, most tanks are filled with partial pressure mixing: pure o2 is pumped in, then normal air is added. (pretty sure I got the order right...) That's the key: they add oxygen to normal air. So the normal air at those places must be clean, or else it would dirty the tank with hydrocarbons, and it might catch on fire when the o2 was added.

Does that make sense? I know I'm not explaining it well....but not all normal air would cause a tank to need a re-cleaning, because they are adding that normal air to the oxygen. So if a shop fills nitrox, I think the air will be the same, and you don't need a re-cleaning.

If in doubt, ask for 21% nitrox. If you are nitrox certified, you could even ask for something a little higher, maybe 26% nitrox. Not enough to affect your MOD by much, but enough that the shop can't give you bull about "it'll need a cleaning after this!"

i didnt mean to say looking for. i know someone who has two 80s that are only 5yrs old and he only wants 150 for both. he said they have nitrox in them. its a good deal thats why i would ask if i can use regular air in these tanks

i didnt mean to say looking for. i know someone who has two 80s that are only 5yrs old and he only wants 150 for both. he said they have nitrox in them. its a good deal thats why i would ask if i can use regular air in these tanks

Go for it...nice price!

Keep in mind that at 5 years, they probably need a hydro. Every five years a tank needs to be re-hydrotested. Without current hydro date and vip, no shop will fill them.

(actually, some shops don't check. Waterworld probably won't, I've got a buddy who keeps getting a tank a year out of hydro filled there. H keeps forgetting it's out of hydro, they never check, he's always like "dang man, I realized I grabbed my HP100 that's out of hydro and got it filled again....I keep forgetting which one of the three it out!" )

Not sure how long you have been diving, but I think that without a doubt the best shop inthe Gville area is Cave Excursions East, out by Ginnie Springs (junction of 340 and 470). $4 a fill for air, I think...$.09 a cubic foot for nitrox? And they bank the stuff, so you don't need a "clean" tank for it, atleast for most rec mixes. They can also hook you up with trimix, pure o2, and argon, all at very good prices. Go there on the weekends though, Rich is there then, and he's a very nice guy who'll cut you a deal on things if you ask. During the week, there are other shop guys, and some of them really suck.

tank=tank

Nitrox is just sticker unless you actually fill it with Nitrox

Back
Top Bottom