Used gear advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rpnick

Registered
Reaction score
Just starting to gather gear and have a few questions... What pieces of gear do you think are ok to purchase used? I keep my stuff in good shape, so some items, like my bc, I've purchased new. But since I'm not wealthy, I shop the sales and classified for good deals, but I'm unsure as to what could be considered a "safe" item to purchase used. It seems like a tank would be ok w/ good hydro/vip? What about reg's, weight systems, gauges, etc? Any advice would be appreciated, and thankfully received! Have a Nice Day, ...N

Many will disagree with me, but, just about anything is ok to buy used if you use some common sense. For instance regs. Buy it used and take it in to have it serviced immediately upon receipt. Same goes with any gear that is "life support" equipment.

Things like wetsuits, weight systems, fins, mask, etc. That's all personal choice and whether it fits correctly or not.

My gear is made up of a combination of used and new.

Word of caution though, if you buy used gear and take it in to get serviced at your LDS, you are likely to royally piss them off.

Buying used equipment is like buying a used car .... there are some great deals out there but there is also some junk. Being a "newbie" to the sport don't think buying used equipment off E Bay to save money. .... you don't know what you are getting. Many scuba companies have gone out of business (Sportways, White Stag, Voit, Healthways, Parkway, Scubamasters and Nemrod) or they don't make parts for their older stuff (see the thread "dumped on by diving companies again"). Also there is counterfit stuff also being sold (Scubapro Nighthawk as an example). Buy from a local shop or a well known internet store (Divers' Direct, LeisurePro or DiverDiscount). The advantage of buying from your LDS is service and the down side is price. Almost all used equipment off E Bay tells you to have it serviced by a shop before using it .... ever wonder why ? Maybe because it has given them problems and they are trying to get rid of it. Also I have never found good equipment at a "yard sale or estate sale" but some of the E Bay sellers find it all the time and that's why they are "as is condition".

I bought some of my stuff used; regulator (shop was selling off rental gear), wetsuit with hood, boots and gloves, fins, and weights/weightbelt. I found a weightbelt with 18 pounds of lead at an antique shop for $9. It wasn't an antique but they had it laying under their table, you can't even buy the lead for that. You might check with your local shop and see if/when they change rental gear stock, you can get some decent stuff for a fairly good price. Some shops have "rent to buy" programs, each time you rent the gear the cost goes toward the purchase of it. The nice thing about this is you get to dive the gear and see if you like it.

Like the other's said use common sense, get someone who is familiar with equipment to look at it before you buy it if you can. Find out why they are selling the gear, there is a marketplace here on Scubaboard where you can get gear from people who are probably just upgrading their stuff. Best of luck to you!
Ber :lilbunny:

So far I have bought two dive lights used and I bought them from here. Personally I would think twice about buying my regs from online. You might get a good deal and then again you might get robbed, just like anything else.
I have heard more negative comments about buying used over the internet than good ones. Don't know if it is because bad news travels fast or what but I am trying to stay away from online used. Now if you are buying it locally and it is used you could always track the person down.

Don't need to worry about the reg any more. Mares Axis Pro for $119, brand new. Tried it today out back in the cement pond and like it just fine, thank you. Scrounged a weight belt and a couple old school 5# weights for... FREE!!! Nothing modern, nothing special, but the price was right. Kinda like the old Studebaker I found 'em in! Now I just need a tank and gauges, and some more lead and I'm set. Yippee! Back to the salt mines tomorrow. cul8r, ...N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom