used equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andreaq

New
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good spot to buy used equipment? Currently looking for fins and booties.

Thanks, Andrea

andreaq:
Sorry.... we're on Oahu....
LeisurePro.com has new fins starting at $25-29. But it's probably that much again to ship them to you.

Try Surf and Sea up in Hale'Iwa. Last time I was there they were giving away free booties and spare straps with a new fin purchase. Seemed like pretty nice people. Another option for booties is wal-mart or kmart. THey both carry deep-sea booties for about $20/pair.

andreaq:
Can anyone recommend a good spot to buy used equipment? Currently looking for fins and booties.

Thanks, Andrea

I would highly recommend against getting USED booties!! First off, they are not all that expensive to purchase new. The next point is that STINKING is EXACTLY the right term to describe USED Booties!! Fit is key for both Fins and booties, so I suggest you try on some (maybe a friends) before you buy online.

LP/Scubatoys/online vendors in general have the BEST prices on these types of items.

For used Fins, you may want to look at Ebay. I got my Apollo Bio-Fins for about $50 used, and they run $140 just about everywhere. They have a few scratches and scrapes, but hey, the are BLACK RUBBER Fins, what is to go wrong unless the straps are dry rotted and falling apart (mine are not).

Good Luck,
Ron

Thanks for all of your input!

I will be taking an OW course and it was recommended I get fins. However, after the course, we plan on doing some boat dives that include all equipment. After that, we will be moving to San Antonio.. and I am not sure how much diving we will be doing there.

My question is this... will the cheapo fins from Wal Mart be OK? I have read that people say you'll regret buying cheapo fins, but what if we only plan on recreational diving/boat dives in the future? Will the cheapos be OK for the course?

I will go up to Haleiwa to check for used fins.

I also have a question about fit for booties? How should they fit? If I go to WalMart and get the cheapo booties, I won't have anyone there to assist me with fit, so any information you can give me regarding proper fit would be great!

Thanks so much, Andrea

Most dive shops will help you out. Most dive classes require you have your "soft gear" that is mask ( find one that fits well and don't spare the cost, BUT a lower dollar mask may fit just fine) fins and boots. You will be wasting money by buying at Walmart. Go to a dive shop, get there advice, try some on, look for used and then buy on line if the dive shop won't wack 30-40% off.

I have two words for you - the Swap Meet. Ooops...ok, three words. I used to sell off my older charter gear there whenever I upgraded. Lots of dive gear, but the good stuff goes early.

I'm skeptical Walmart is selling fins appropriate for diving, probably more for snorkeling. You might get by with them, but when you're diving you are pushing not just yourself but all the equipment, and you're more likely to run into water conditions that call for better fins.

You don't have to buy expensive fins. You should be able to get decent enough new fins online or even in some dive shops that aren't all that expensive, or a good deal on used ones if you keep looking around. Remember to try the fins on over whatever booties you get, or at least ones with similar thickness and sole.

If Walmart has Deepsea booties they're probably fine to use, just try them on for fit. You don't want them flopping around but you don't want them strangling your feet either. The right size should be obvious when you try them on, look for a gentle hug.

Take your fins (and any other gear you do get) with you for any diving you do later. Even if rental gear is included where you go to dive it is often not so great, and you will appreciate having decent fins that you know fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom