Used Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have read a number of posts on the economics of buying drysuits used. Given the amount of maintenance required for drysuits I would think it risky to buy them sight unseen from a place like Ebay.

Do you just assume that a used suit needs new seals and maybe a zipper and then hope for the best, or is it common for people to buy new drysuits and then lose interest in diving?

I bought my wife and I both used drysuits off of eBay. I made sure it was a buyer with good feedback and asked all the pertinent question regarding the suits. Both of the suits turned out to be winners and we have been diving them ever since. We bought both Dive Rite suits, with undergarments for less than one new one!
Just my two cents.
Gene

FishDiver:
I have read a number of posts on the economics of buying drysuits used. Given the amount of maintenance required for drysuits I would think it risky to buy them sight unseen from a place like Ebay.

Do you just assume that a used suit needs new seals and maybe a zipper and then hope for the best, or is it common for people to buy new drysuits and then lose interest in diving?

With ebay there's some inherent risk involved. You can look at the seller's feedback and ask the right questions of course to minimize the risk. Most sellers will tell you if the suit needs repairs if they know or whether the seals have been trimmed previously. Others are clueless about the products they sell and you just have to roll the dice if you bid on such an item, however, those auctions often produce the best deals when they work out.

You might get lucky. My brother got a like-new Mobbys for $300. It's an awesome suit and he's very happy with it.

His Viking was too short for him so he sold it on ebay and it went for about the same - roughly $300, and it was like-new with brand new seals.

Deals are out there.

-Ben M.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom