Used Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buying a used drysuit can be a great way to get a drysuit at a modest price. That being said, you should ask yourself a few questions first:

Do you know how to size it properly?
Do you know how to check the condition of the dry zipper and seals?
Do you know how many dives you can expect to get out of a new dry zipper?
Do you know how much it costs to replace the dry zipper?
Do you know how to check the condition of the exhaust and inflater valves?
Do you know how to replace wrist and neck seals on your own?
If you don't know how to replace seals, do you know how much it costs to pay someone else to do it for you?
Are you aware of the value of a manufacturer's warranty that comes with a new drysuit?

If you don't know the answers to these questions, talk to an experienced drysuit diver and, if possible, enlist his/her services when checking out the used drysuit for sale.

It is certainly possible to get a good deal on a used drysuit. Unfortunately, there is also a certain amount of risk that there will be leaks, repair costs may balloon, and the suit will be unusable while it's in the shop. As an alternative, consider buying one of the economical new drysuits on the market.

The other thing to consider is that you should be 100% certain that you want to be diving...a lot. Even a used drysuit signifies a financial commitment to the sport. For a beginner, I'd recommend getting all your other gear first (regs, BCD, computer, etc.).

Hope this helps...

I have everything else. I'm looking to dive more throughout the year. I get cold easily and the winter water temps keep me from diving more than I'd like to admit.

What economic drysuits were you referring to.

I have everything else. I'm looking to dive more throughout the year. I get cold easily and the winter water temps keep me from diving more than I'd like to admit.
OK. That sounds reasonable.
What economic drysuits were you referring to.
The Bare Nex-Gen Pro, Whites Fusion, and DUI TLS SE.
I'd probably take a good, hard look at the Whites Fusion, specifically. Scubatoys.com is selling it for $1,290.30. With the 10% ScubaBoard discount, you could have a nice new drysuit for under $1,200.

Leisurepro.com has a few of the 2007 Bare Nex-Gen suits (old stock) on sale for $649. I've put 275+ dives on my Nex-Gen. It's still going strong.

The DUI TLS SE is a low-end (but good quality) shoulder-entry DUI suit. I think DUI is having a promotion that includes undergarments with the purchase of a drysuit.

Hope this helps...

One must be CAREFUL when chosing a used drysuit. I bought/sold 3 used suits before breaking down and buying one of the next-gen suits bubbles mentioned. It was great for about a year, until I found a sweet DUI flx 50/50 (the previous owner used it approx 20 times, grew sick, and passed away (not in the suit)).

Your body-shape will play a large part in the availability of suits from which you can choose. If you have an "average build", you'll find more suits than someone who's shaped a little more... uniquely. :D

What you must first know, however, is what type of suit you want. Do you want crushed neoprene, trilaminate, a mixture of both? They all have their good/bad points, as well as different diving characteristics. Just like when buying anything else that's used, WHY are they selling it? How many dives does it have? What kind of condition is it in?

Your LDS may be a good place to start. They may sell their rentals every so often. One of my good dive buddies lucked-out and snagged a DUI suit for pretty cheap. It's required a little bit of work, but overall it's been cheaper than buying new.

The thing that will help out the most though, is patience. Be patient, watch the SB classified. In this economy, people are selling all kinds of things! BTW, depending on your build, I still have my next-gen pro dry. I'm looking to sell it, the bag, 2 undergarments and a pocket for cheap. :eyebrow:

Hope you find one!

Excellent advice.
And factor in a P valve or make friends with someone with a never ending supply of Depends or you won't use it.

Is it a bad idea to pick up a used drysuit?

Only if it's a cream puff and the price is good enough to override all of the risks. A leak, some seals and a zipper and you could be in a new suit for the same money.

Pete

Krisher, you're in an area where a lot of diving is done . . . which means you have a lot of people getting INTO diving, and a lot of people getting OUT of it, too.

Used drysuits lose a tremendous amount of their value, even if they are only lightly used, so price-wise, they can be extremely advantageous. This is particularly important if you are really budget-limited in buying. I sold my first dry suit for $350, which was the cost of the repairs I had just put into it . . . and that's not unusual.

As Bubbletrubble has already said, the big variables are the condition of the seals (and whether they fit you) and the zipper. Replacing wrist seals is fairly easy. Neck seals require a bit more equipment, and I don't do my own yet. Zippers are a much bigger task, and they're the expensive bit.

Depending on the degree of use, a suit may also have some leaks. Some are easy to find and fix, and some are aggravating and persistent or recurrent. It's good to get a history on the suit, and find out why the owner is selling it.

I'd recommend watching your local Craig's List for suits, and when you find something that sounds as though it might suit, see if you can get an experienced local diver to look at it with you and give you some advice.

Or you could just buy a new Fusion. I love mine!

I thought my used drysuit was a good deal. FLX50/50 with 20 dives for $600. Add new seals, new dump valve, new zipper, new pockets - then find out it was oversized & try to shorten the sleeves, find out the learning curb is steeper with a poor fitting suit A lot of cash and struggle later I just purchased a new suit. (Which I found for a great price)

At the very least, compare your measurements to factory sizes - see if a stock will fit. Maybe try on some suits and learn how they should fit. Then shop.

Some people have great luck. I would have done better just buying a new suit from the beginning.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom