Used drysuit rant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the replies guys...

Thanks also for the craigslist links... though unfortunately those two suits are a bit on the antique side (as in too risky). I haven't yet checked my local craigslist, usually scuba gear on their is pretty raunchy! :(

Unfortunately, the doughnut diet might cost more then a brand new dry suit of the proper size! LOL :p

I also got big feet... thats another hinderance. I've also spent a great deal of time with a multitude of different drysuits and found medium to be the optimal size for most brands. Larges were usually too baggy in the middle, as I'm also thin as a rail. You can add as much undergarment as you want, but it sucks to have all that bagginess. :(

IDK, the more research I do, the more I realize, it may be better to rent something for the few dives I wanna do this year and hope for a better financial situation next year.

thanks again for the responses and let the rant continue! :)

lol the northern divers drysuit i have is a size 12 boot 20130922_121048_resized.jpg
20130922_121057_resized.jpg20130922_121229_resized.jpg20130922_121349_resized.jpg20130922_121403_resized.jpg$400

I don't mean this in a mean way (and I know people who say that usually do, but I really don't) but I am surprised that you expect to find a used suit that will meet all your needs out of the gate. My BF has bought a few and almost always made at least a modification here or there. (Personally, for me, I'd rather just buy it how I want it the first time for a few extra hundred dollars but I don't have the patience to tweak things. But that is neither here nor there...)

Back to my BF... for some used suits he sent them back to DUI and added pockets, others, seals, and I do believe that he may have put turbosoles on at least one drysuit. From your sig it looks like you are instructor; consider talking to manufacturer about keyman pricing on modifications/repairs OR on a new suit.

Thanks for the replies guys...

Thanks also for the craigslist links... though unfortunately those two suits are a bit on the antique side (as in too risky). I haven't yet checked my local craigslist, usually scuba gear on their is pretty raunchy! :(

Unfortunately, the doughnut diet might cost more then a brand new dry suit of the proper size! LOL :p

I also got big feet... thats another hinderance. I've also spent a great deal of time with a multitude of different drysuits and found medium to be the optimal size for most brands. Larges were usually too baggy in the middle, as I'm also thin as a rail. You can add as much undergarment as you want, but it sucks to have all that bagginess. :(

IDK, the more research I do, the more I realize, it may be better to rent something for the few dives I wanna do this year and hope for a better financial situation next year.

thanks again for the responses and let the rant continue! :)

Do like I did. Go to your LDS and take a drysuit workshop. Then buy the suit you took the workshop in off the used rack after being the only person to ever wear it!

I'm also 5'10, and you're right, all the used suits out there are either made for hobbits or giants.

I think there's some law of the universe that will create a temporary vacuum for whatever specific used/cheap gear you're looking for when you're actually in the market. As soon as you nut up and buy new, the floodgates open and you'll have your pick.

I think there's some law of the universe that will create a temporary vacuum for whatever specific used/cheap gear you're looking for when you're actually in the market. As soon as you nut up and buy new, the floodgates open and you'll have your pick.

LOL.That's funny...and it seems to be true.

Some links from the LA/Ventura area after a quick search on CL:

Mobby's Laminate - Simi Valley

Parkway - Chino

Bayley - Sherman Oaks (this one looks like neoprene...and it's cheap)

I have a lightly used DUI TLSse in size M, with pockets and TurboSoles. If you're interested, PM me.

Do like I did. Go to your LDS and take a drysuit workshop. Then buy the suit you took the workshop in off the used rack after being the only person to ever wear it!

I've never even thought about taking a drysuit workshop, never even heard of such a thing. I've taught drysuit classes and I know all about repairing them and adding accessories like hoods and stuff. But usually around here used suits/gear is used for rental inventory.

I'm also 5'10, and you're right, all the used suits out there are either made for hobbits or giants.

Yeppers... its like strange to me. I do a lot of "gear" related activities outside of scuba and it happens in all of them as well. Its like we just love our doughnuts! HA!

---------- Post added October 4th, 2013 at 12:14 AM ----------

From your sig it looks like you are instructor; consider talking to manufacturer about keyman pricing on modifications/repairs OR on a new suit.

Ohh don't get me wrong, I've got a deal lined up for exactly what I want. But money is so tight right now, I can't even afford to think about a new suit right now. I honestly just wanna get back in the water and enjoy myself. There is no reason to spend thousands of dollars on that in my opinion. Heck, on a recent vacation back to new england, I rented a Scubapro Everyday 4 and it fits great... I'd buy one and put boots on it, if only I could find one cheap and the right size!

The hunt will continue until either I get depressed and put the new suit on a credit card or find something cheap to tide me over.

But thanks for the kind words and assistance guys! :)

I've never even thought about taking a drysuit workshop, never even heard of such a thing. I've taught drysuit classes and I know all about repairing them and adding accessories like hoods and stuff. But usually around here used suits/gear is used for rental inventory.

workshop/class = same/same. I took the PADI drysuit class for my drysuit cert (which I'm assuming is only necessary when renting dry gear?), which was called a "workshop" here. Might have been an English/German translational thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom