Used drysuit rant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tye1138

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So here I am, ready to get back in the water. Built a beautiful double 45 rig, have all new regulators/gauges, MFS, everything is good... but I don't have a drysuit for the cooling waters of So Cal. I sold my suits years ago, mostly because they had mysterious leaks and I just didn't want to deal with them anymore, I hate getting wet in a dry suit.

I really, really, really want (and will eventually buy) one of Bruces Sea Soft dry suits. I absolutely love the suit and wait for the day when I can afford one. However, I simply can't afford a new dry suit right now... I need a $600 special, ya know? Something to last me a few months, maybe a year, who knows. I'd prefer crushed neoprene, but I'd be OK with a trilam suit.

There are hundreds of suits on the market which fit my budget, but EVERY SINGLE ONE is a Large, XL or XXL or XXXL or XXXXL.

Now... I'm not a hobbit, I'm 5' 10" and 150lb. I'm what most people would call, perfectly normal sized. I usually can wear a small/long or medium sized suit without a problem.

So what gives? Why aren't there ANY standard-old small/medium suits on the market? Do all the big people of this universe give up diving and sell their gear?

Its very frustrating, week after week to see awesome suits, incredible deals, come and go all because of size.

So have at it... thats my rant, any suggestions?

^ Agreed. Why don't you just stack on 200 lbs? I can't believe there are such behemoths actually diving, but, apparently there are.

---------- Post added October 2nd, 2013 at 04:54 PM ----------

P.S. - I'm 5'11" and 165lbs. I know what you are going through.

Im 5'10 185lb and large is a bit too small with undies, large should me good for u with med/thicker undies

So here I am, ready to get back in the water. Built a beautiful double 45 rig, have all new regulators/gauges, MFS, everything is good... but I don't have a drysuit for the cooling waters of So Cal. I sold my suits years ago, mostly because they had mysterious leaks and I just didn't want to deal with them anymore, I hate getting wet in a dry suit.

I really, really, really want (and will eventually buy) one of Bruces Sea Soft dry suits. I absolutely love the suit and wait for the day when I can afford one. However, I simply can't afford a new dry suit right now... I need a $600 special, ya know? Something to last me a few months, maybe a year, who knows. I'd prefer crushed neoprene, but I'd be OK with a trilam suit.

There are hundreds of suits on the market which fit my budget, but EVERY SINGLE ONE is a Large, XL or XXL or XXXL or XXXXL.

Now... I'm not a hobbit, I'm 5' 10" and 150lb. I'm what most people would call, perfectly normal sized. I usually can wear a small/long or medium sized suit without a problem.

So what gives? Why aren't there ANY standard-old small/medium suits on the market? Do all the big people of this universe give up diving and sell their gear?

Its very frustrating, week after week to see awesome suits, incredible deals, come and go all because of size.

So have at it... thats my rant, any suggestions?

Have you tried Craigslist? Here is a local ad: SCUBA DRYSUIT or another: Medium Bare D6 Pro Dry Drysuit

Now... I'm not a hobbit, I'm 5' 10" and 150lb. I'm what most people would call, perfectly normal sized.

The big people outgrow their gear and sell it :)

Your in So Cal, dive a 7MM it is not that cold in October as the water temp lags the air temp drop.

Too bad my Bare XCD2 is a LS (9 1/2 boots) -- I need to put it on the market -- newish zipper, boots and seals -- $500 obo

I have a used excellent condition northern divers divemaster neoprene drysuit I bought that does not fit me after I received it... its a ML im 5'9" and 210 pds. I really like it but just a bit to small for me. If interested pm me and I can get you some more info on it. It comes with a carry bag and size medium hood.

Thanks for the replies guys...

Thanks also for the craigslist links... though unfortunately those two suits are a bit on the antique side (as in too risky). I haven't yet checked my local craigslist, usually scuba gear on their is pretty raunchy! :(

Unfortunately, the doughnut diet might cost more then a brand new dry suit of the proper size! LOL :p

I also got big feet... thats another hinderance. I've also spent a great deal of time with a multitude of different drysuits and found medium to be the optimal size for most brands. Larges were usually too baggy in the middle, as I'm also thin as a rail. You can add as much undergarment as you want, but it sucks to have all that bagginess. :(

IDK, the more research I do, the more I realize, it may be better to rent something for the few dives I wanna do this year and hope for a better financial situation next year.

thanks again for the responses and let the rant continue! :)

Back
Top Bottom