Used Dry Suit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GimmeSome

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm pretty new to diving but since I've been doing a lot in Monterey I've decided I really should get a dry suit. There is an option for me to buy one that has been very gently used and with only a few dives on it, it is about 10 years old.

It will need a few modifications for me to be able to use it. The wrist seals were way too loose & the boots probably could go down a size. The other thing that worried me was there seemed to be a lot of material in the back area (I apparently have no ass :().

I've been reading a lot on the forum about how important the fit is with dry suits. Will the excess material in the back be too troublesome or is it not that much of an issue as long as all the seals work?

Thanks for any advice!

Seals are easy to change. Boots may not need to be replaced. What were you wearing for booties and socks? I wear the thickest socks I own, and a pair of 400g booties that make my foot connected to my fin. You need enough room to be able to move your arms and body around. Pictures always help.

Fit is extremely important. The bigger the suit is the more difficulty you'll have controlling the bubble in it. That will make it very difficult to keep your trim and buoyancy under control. as for boots, I would definitely recommend they be the proper size. I had a student recently that had boots about a size or 2 too large and even with multiple socks and a pair of water shoes they still allowed too much air in them. Also, after the seals, the zipper is usually the next thing to wear out and require changing. If this 10 year old suit hasn't had a zip replacement yet you can probably expect that to happen in the next year. Add another $300 to your price tag. So, what are we up to now? About $500-600 just for replacements and repairs not including taking up the rear.

Given all this, how much are you being asked to pay for the suit? You might be better off buying a new dry suit that fits you. There are lots of new dry suits out there that are affordable and probably will cost you less than this suit will once all the additional costs are accounted for.

My advice is to attend the next DUI Demo Day in your area, to try out different kinds of dry suits, as well as find your right size. Try it out even if u plan to buy a different brand dry suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom