Used compressor oil.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shil

Registered
Reaction score
HI all,

What do people do with used compressor oil ? As synthetics are used by all units and I am sure a lot of life is left in them after the factory recommended change interval. ( coltri = 50 hours )

Can they be re used , say for small 4 strokes engines, or can they be added as oil in 2 strokes. ?

Shil

Used oil is used oil. We use vegetable based oil not synthetic so I don't see it as ideal for any combustion engine lube.

There are some people who have buildings and shops heated with a waste oil heater. I know someone who has one and they burn everything from used engine oil, to heavy weight gear lube. So when they are buying oil, whether is be a quart or 50 gallons they are actually getting their moneys worth. I drop oil off every once and a while and it keeps the shop heated to 72 degrees all winter long.

There are some people who have buildings and shops heated with a waste oil heater. I know someone who has one and they burn everything from used engine oil, to heavy weight gear lube. So when they are buying oil, whether is be a quart or 50 gallons they are actually getting their moneys worth. I drop oil off every once and a while and it keeps the shop heated to 72 degrees all winter long.

Good point, would have never crossed my mind in Florida (until this year). :D

Well it can be mixed with diesel fuel to lets say a 50/50 ratio and it will run in a diesel engine as well. I would not recommend it on newer diesels, but it works for older ones quite well, just a bit more smoke.

But to syntaxerrorsix, if you are using a vegetable based oil you can pour that right into a diesel engine fuel tank as well. There are some people out here running 100% vegetable oil in there diesels around here.

It will work in a gas turbine lawn mower

Wow finally an advantage of having a diesel powered compressor, it can be self fuelling. (although I would not go over about 10 to 1 mix)

Ike

Just reading this post and remember the msds sheets on Chemlube
751, Summit dsl 100, 150, and many others point out that the
Synthetic oil is only on the hazard scale of 1 out of 4, but when it
is burned it is extremely toxic, and deadly. Not anything like any
petrolium based oils. That sounds like the danger of overheating
one of the breathing air compressors poisoning a scuba tank!!!
I made the mistake of putting 12 oz in my shop waste oil stove
and between the smell and the dizziness I experienced right afterward I believe it. Anyway it seems to me I have read here on this site or somewhere where divers have become sick or killed by the overheated synthetic oil in an overseas dive location. I belive that is why some want to use some vegetable or food compatable oils over the synthetic.
Scott

Just reading this post and remember the msds sheets on Chemlube
751, Summit dsl 100, 150, and many others point out that the
Synthetic oil is only on the hazard scale of 1 out of 4, but when it
is burned it is extremely toxic, and deadly. Not anything like any
petrolium based oils. That sounds like the danger of overheating
one of the breathing air compressors poisoning a scuba tank!!!
I made the mistake of putting 12 oz in my shop waste oil stove
and between the smell and the dizziness I experienced right afterward I believe it. Anyway it seems to me I have read here on this site or somewhere where divers have become sick or killed by the overheated synthetic oil in an overseas dive location. I belive that is why some want to use some vegetable or food compatable oils over the synthetic.
Scott

A well maintained and monitored compressor will not reach temperatures that will effect synthetic oil. Synthetic oils were developed to lubricate jet engines, it was the only lubricnt that could stand up long term to the temperature in jet engines. It's high flash point is why it is the choise for breathing air compressors.

I switched from mineral based oil to synthetic 30 years ago and have never had the problems with carboned up compressor valves that I had with the mineral based oil.

Back
Top Bottom