Use yoke or Din on PST tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Panulirus

Registered
Reaction score
I recenty got 2 steel PST 100's. The shop that sold them to me told me that these are safe to dive with yoke regs. The captain of the dive boat that I normally dive on says that HP tanks should only be dove with DIN. I know that old yoke regs are only rated to 3000 psi. Is this the case for all yoke regs new and old? I had the tanks filled already with Nitrox set up as yoke. To switch the valve to DIN I'd have to dump the tanks and have the valve converted. Should I do this and convert my reg to DIN? Please excuse my ignorance. I've been diving for a long time but just getting into some of the new equipment.

Please understand there are multiple issues here, they are:

What psi is your regulator rated for?
what psi is your yoke rated for?

If the answer is above 3442 psi your fine!

PST supplied their tanks with a Thermo Pro valve. If this valve was installed, just unscrew the insert, no draining neccesary.

The various tank connections (yoke, 200 DIN, 300 DIN) are used to protect your regulator from being over pressurized. Yoke connections are not recognized above 3442 psi-depending on yoke/regulator rating, which can be lower. HP cylinders are considered those above 3500 psi.

Going to be diving the steels with a brand new aqualung Legend LX but not sure on what psi the yoke is rated for. I know my old AL SE2 is only rated at 3000 psi even though I've used it at 3300 psi many times. I'll find out what the Legend is rated at and go from there. Thanks for the reply

Panulirus, my dad uses a titan lx with wirthington x7 tanks (rated at 3442). The manufaturer said that the only reson it wasn't stamped at 3500 is because their stamp that stamps the maximum pressure on the regulator only goes in 1000 psi incroments. The yokeis rated to 3500 but they can't over rate it so they under rate it. You can use a legend with a PST tank.

I forgot to add that I also use a yoke Aeris regulator with my x7 tanks. You should be fine.

Either way is fine within the right fill (3442 psi), but it will be better with DIN for the overfill.

Here is my experience on Yoke option with the high pressure. It works, but O-ring doesn't last long

DSCN1820.JPG

DSCN1822.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom