Use of O2 clean tanks in remote areas...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Winters:
Uh, wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to just buy a few extra tanks so you can avoid stuff like this?
Easier, yes. Cost effective, no. I want to get steel tanks for the weight advantage. At close to $300 each I don't see me getting 4 tanks any time soon.

A couple of things:

If the shop has their air tested (as already stated), they will likely find that their air is already well within the modified Grade E (oxygen-service compatible) standards. If they are using synthetic lubricants in their compressor that is so much the better as that is a way to reduce the POTENTIAL of hydrocarbon contamination of their air.

In other words, I have fallen into oxyhacker's camp having done my own research.

If you run into a shop filling by continuous blend or membrane, they may not require O2 compatible air or O2 clean tanks as there is no single point in the system that sees O2 levels above forty percent. In fact, some of the membrane/continuous blending fills may actually violate an O2 clean tank with enough fills.

Pre-mix at the shop is the best of both worlds. The shop has already done the PP (partial pressure) blending in the banks, so the fills won't contaminate your O2 service rating (It had to be hydrocarbon free to safely mix it in the banks.), but your tank and valves will not see an O2 level over forty percent. So your tanks will not need to be O2 cleaned.

As to your tank, unfortunately you will either need to have an extra O2 clean tank or two that you don't fill at your shop or you will simply have to do as suggested elsewhere and fill the tank from your shop and just O2 clean it before you take it to a location that does any partial pressure blending of nitrox.

I know that this is about as clear as mud, so you may just want to concentrate on the last paragraph for now. But, the other information will help you make decisions later on down the line if you happen to find a shop in your travels that uses methods of filling nitrox other than partial pressure blending inside the tank.

Back
Top Bottom