USD/Aqualung first stages? need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used the Titan, prefere the all brass 2nd stage on the conshelf. I tend to be susceptible to dry mouth, no matter how well I hydrate, and I have less problems with a Brass regulator.

I might look into the Titan or Titan LX, in fact I already did think about it when I was considering a new reg (that's when I was asking all those questions about Scubapro a while back). The difference between them is the second stage, correct? Titan=unbalanced, LX=balanced?

Part of me is still tempted to get something slightly older for less, though. Although now I'm a bit leery about Aqualung's long-term support claim after the Pro Diver debacle. Okay, direct question: are any of the Conshelf series 1st stages not or insufficiently supported anymore, ie which I should avoid? I ask because I have seen several 22s, SEs, SE2s, SE3s, and I can't be sure anymore that being less than 20 years old guarantees that you can still get the dang things serviced.

Otoh, maybe I should just go with Scubapro...

cheers

Billy S.

Moogyboy:
I might look into the Titan or Titan LX, in fact I already did think about it when I was considering a new reg (that's when I was asking all those questions about Scubapro a while back). The difference between them is the second stage, correct? Titan=unbalanced, LX=balanced?

Part of me is still tempted to get something slightly older for less, though. Although now I'm a bit leery about Aqualung's long-term support claim after the Pro Diver debacle. Okay, direct question: are any of the Conshelf series 1st stages not or insufficiently supported anymore, ie which I should avoid? I ask because I have seen several 22s, SEs, SE2s, SE3s, and I can't be sure anymore that being less than 20 years old guarantees that you can still get the dang things serviced.

cheers

Billy S.

I have a Conshelf XII, circa 1969, that is still servicable. From what I have read, the 1st stages are virtualy the same. Someone help me out if I am wrong.

Moogyboy:

I think that Titan regs are a great deal. Decent breathers and parts and service available everywhere. Price is right. In fact, last summer I saw new Titans go for as little as $120 on ebay. It's not hard to put that much in service into a used reg. I had an SE2 which I really liked, but the Titan is every bit as good--maybe better. We have both Titan and TitanLX. The LX has a balanced second, but in all honesty, I cannot tell the difference in breathing to 130 feet (the deepest I have compared both).

Moogyboy:
That is correct. Then the supreme is sealed a la Apeks style.

Moogyboy:
Just FYI All the conshelf first stages have the same parts kits so they are equally supported. Because the Titan has the same parts kit. That is not to say that the its are cheap though. They cost about $40 CDN per kit. They are trying to emphasize the warranty.

If you are diving warm water and there is a service center near by you would like them too.....

Hi.

I dive with a SEA first stage, SEA2 2nd and the USD plain ole Octo. The Conshelf and SEA are the same inside...and so is the Titan (internally only) according to my dive shop. The parts are readily available for them still (obviously because they still use them).

Mine also dives very comfortably. The deeper I go, the smoother it gets (probably because of the enlarged LP port *7/16* to which my 2nd is attatched)...it has 2 HP ports (1 on each side) and 4LP ports (of which one is larger diameter as previously indicated). These regs (any of them IE the Titan, Conshelf, SEA) are all excellent. They're very inexpensive to maintain. And the SEA2, SEA3, SEA4 2nd stages can all have the hose input from either side with minimal mods if you're gonna dive doubles.

Hope this helped...I love mine and am currently seeking another to add to the "arsenal"...lol.

Good luck.

rescuediver009:
....... the Titan has the same parts kit. That is not to say that the its are cheap though. They cost about $40 CDN per kit. They are trying to emphasize the warranty. QUOTE]

The other option is to find a Dive shop that doesn't rape you on parts. These kits wholesale to approved dealers for somewhere between $5 and $10 for most of these kits. (per stage that is!)

New Conshelf's are like $400+ I believe. Marvel still sells them and they are over $400 brand new. Whats that say about them? The US Navy still uses them I believe. Nice used one's can be found on eBay here-and-there - you just have to hit it right when someone is selling one.

I bought one a year ago for like $60. Its was in EC. I replaced about $5 in parts and it breathes superbly. They are built like bricks and will last for years. Simple, easy to service and parts are still available. Great reg for a fraction of what a brand new reg or any kind will cost ya!

ScoobieDooo:
New Conshelf's are like $400+ I believe. Marvel still sells them and they are over $400 brand new. Whats that say about them? The US Navy still uses them I believe. Nice used one's can be found on eBay here-and-there - you just have to hit it right when someone is selling one.

I bought one a year ago for like $60. Its was in EC. I replaced about $5 in parts and it breathes superbly. They are built like bricks and will last for years. Simple, easy to service and parts are still available. Great reg for a fraction of what a brand new reg or any kind will cost ya!
SHHHHH!!!!! Keep telling people about ebay, and I'll never score another set like I got(2 XIV's for $30).
Heh, today, I traded an old Dacor Olympic 200(which I can't use), for a XIV 2nd stage, which I most certainly can use. The guy at the dive shop had it for a display. My compulsive Conshelf hoarding continues.

hey ho

Well I guess I'm officially part of the big happy Conshelfers family as of today, as I won an eBay auction for an SE2 first stage for all of $41.00 plus shipping. I guess I'll add the second from my Pro Diver as well the other hose-connected stuff, and I'll be good to go. Next step: an octo.

Dunno what I want to do with the Pro Diver first stage...it's kind of a funny shape to be a paperweight. :)

Anyway, needless to say I'm excited. Yes this amounts to an older regulator anyway you look at it but I have no qualms about that. With any luck I may not need to buy another reg setup for a while.

cheers

Billy S.

Back
Top Bottom