USD/Aqualung first stages? need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moogyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Okay, so as to bring this question right out in the open rather than bury it in a thread (see), I need advice on picking and finding a first stage to replace the sadly obsolete Pro Diver first stage I recently acquired. I'd prefer something that doesn't cost a load of cash, but has enough ports for modern diving (ie 1-2 HP, 4-5 LP), performs well, and most importantly is easily serviceable and still has parts readily available. I have a basic understanding of the various Scubapro 1st stages but not much on USD's so I don't know what to look for. Also if anyone knows the best places to find first stages by themselves (eBay is probably the obvious first choice).

cheers

Billy S.

eBAY often has Conshelf first stages listed. I have used a Conshelf regulator for 9 years now and have had no problems.

ebay is a good place. I got a US Divers Costeau 1st stage off it a while ago for around 60.00

Okay, so Conshelf is a definite. Any particular models? I don't know the vintage, features, etc, for the different regs, so if anyone could provide a summary (a'la DA Aquamaster's excellent summary of Scubapro regs in another thread). That goes for the Cousteau as well...

cheers

Billy S.

The Conshelf XIV has 1 HP and 3 LP ports. If you need a dry suit inflator on top of an Octo and BC you are out of luck. I believe the Conshelf SE/SEA and 21 1st stages have a total of 4 LP ports.

My dive shop, an Aqualung dealer, who services my 2 Conshelf XIVs for me, thinks they are great. They also have told me that internally all of the Conshelf 1st stages are the same.

HI,

anyone who likes :dazzler1: antiques?
I have a calypso 6 1st stage with 1 HP and 2 LP ports. I can give it to you for $ 20.00. with serial no. 868006. It's in good condition though i'm not using it anymore.

jimmy t.

Interesting. The first stage on my Sea 4 has 2 HP and 4 LP openings. It is the same first stage as the Cousteau.

Before you jump on the Conshelf bandwagon, which is a great, reliable regulator, take the time to check out the USD Titan. I think I am correct in saying that the Titan is the newest, improved version of the Conshelf. Since USD picked up the APEKS line, they have incorporated some of the APEKS design into their own regs, which is an improvement. I have several Titan's which I use for training reg's. They are awesome inexpensive regs with parts availability worldwide. They can be purchased from LP for $175, or picked up on ebay for less. Also check out the USD Legend, great reg with the APEKS improvements. A friend of mine has one, I tried it, and its an awesome breather, but more expensive. Another option is the APEKS, which are great also, preferred by cave and tech divers for reliability, and can be picked up on ebay, at LP, or purchased internationally. If you want info on international website PM me and I'll give it to you.

The conshelf is still listed on the Aqualung site. And if you go to an authorized dealer, they will be able to get it for you. And if they can't I know for a fact that they can order you a titan first stage which is the modern day conshelf as the internals are identical. Breathes nice too.

Back
Top Bottom