USB IR receiver for MAC and TEC2G

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsteding

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Did a quick search-surprisingly, didn't see an answer to this.

If someone is using a mac with the Tec2G and has found a suitable USB IR reciever that doesn't cost $70 can you point me in the right direction?

I'm running OS 10.3.9, I found one that is 10.4 compatible but nothing else.

[EDIT] Digged deeper, found my answers. Not too happy about the chipset compatability thing, $70 is starting to look cheaper in terms of possible time spent.

Hello dsteding. I'm just curious to know if you were able to figure this out. I hope to be able to download my dive data sometime.

I'm currently using OSX 10.5.5 on MBP Core2Duo

Thanks.

I have an aladin prime and an old g4 powerbook 10.5.4 (leopard) , i looked on scubaboard and googled for an irda cable that would work, but have come to the same conclusion as you dsteding. I dont want to spend 70 bucks on the uwatec, but it may be easier and cheaper in the long run. I just got the computer, so im gonna wait till the log is somewhat full before I buy the cable (and pay off my original purchase).

If anyone knows any cheap usb irda cables that work on macs, please help us out.
thanks
DH

I have an aladin prime and an old g4 powerbook 10.5.4 (leopard) , i looked on scubaboard and googled for an irda cable that would work, but have come to the same conclusion as you dsteding. I dont want to spend 70 bucks on the uwatec, but it may be easier and cheaper in the long run. I just got the computer, so im gonna wait till the log is somewhat full before I buy the cable (and pay off my original purchase).

If anyone knows any cheap usb irda cables that work on macs, please help us out.
thanks
DH

Belkin USB Infrared SmartBeam: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I don't think Belkin markets them in the US, and I think I got mine on Ebay in the UK. It works with my 20" iMac running JTrak and the TEC2G. I hadn't used it in a while so I just downloaded some dives now to make sure I wasn't making things up. I have been using Smart Trak in Windoze running with VMWare Fusion and having no problem with the cheap, readily available USB dongles. Although Jtrak is nice, I wish Uwatec would do a full version for the Mac so I didn't have to use Windows at all.

I have tried four of 5 different adapters, and so far, the uwatec is the only one that I have found that works with the Mac

The one thing you might want to look into with the intel based macs is the create a bootcamp partition or use something like vmware fusion or parallels to run windows which will open up your options. The other thing I ran into is that the mac based software is not even close to being as robust as the windows based software

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom