US to Curacao - US COVID Testing Options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveProKoko

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Couldn't find an answer to my question specifically, so thought I'd ask here. Is there anyone who has traveled to Curacao recently that can tell me what COVID tests available in the US are accepted for entry into Curacao? The rules on the Curacao govt. site versus what's being discussed in forums on the internet vary widely. I trust divers, especially ones that have recently been through the process, to give me the real scoop. Haha! I know what the Curacao govt website says....but I've also read on forums that people used the drugstore tests and had no problems.

So.....will Curacao take PCR/antigen tests from CVS, Walgreen's, etc.? Would some of you please share if you used these tests and your experience? We're headed down in early December and are looking ahead to see what we need to schedule before departure. FYI - we've jumped through this hoop to Roatan, Turks and Caicos, and the USVI already and the Walgreen's tests were accepted just fine, but I'm hearing conflicting info on this one for Curacao. Thanks a TON for your insight and help!

The government website says:
"Visitors will need to show a negative result of a certified COVID-19 PCR test taken 48 hours before your flight to Curaçao or a negative test result of an antigen test taken at most 24 hours before your flight to Curaçao."​
What information are you finding that disagrees with this?

Additionally to the above, add from an accredited lab, cvs, Walgreens count but making sure the results are in can be the sticking point because you have to have all this info and a few forms done ahead of time.

The government website says:
"Visitors will need to show a negative result of a certified COVID-19 PCR test taken 48 hours before your flight to Curaçao or a negative test result of an antigen test taken at most 24 hours before your flight to Curaçao."​
What information are you finding that disagrees with this?
Thanks for your reply! The point some are discussing is that Curacao won't take the drugstore tests because they are "anterior" nasal swabs. While the DICARD site states pretty much what you posted, it also states at the bottom of their page:
  • Only deep pharyngeal nose and throat PCR/Antigen tests are accepted. Covid tests such as Gargle and pooling samples, Saliva and blood tests will not be accepted.

I'm simply looking for reassurance from others that have recently and successfully completed the process using the drugstore tests. People have been posting online everything from, "I personally emailed the govt there and they said no to the drugstore tests" to, "I'm here right now and got my test at CVS...." I put my stock in those who have actually done it versus what some govt. official allegedly told them in an email. As we all know, there's the "rule", then there's the practical application.....especially on island time! :)

... or the person reviewing/interpreting your information...

So the question back is, "How lucky do you feel?"

"Got my test at CVS" (or similar) could mean a real PCR test, or a rapid test, or the self administered ones you buy off the shelf. Probably need to be more specific whoever you're talking to.

CVS unfortunately adds to the confusion and uncertainty.
They list "Molecular lab test PCR/NAAT" and "Rapid-result test" but both terms, as used are ambiguous. Both are "diagnostic" tests, but don't say that. The former appears to be a normal PCR test, which is just one kind of NAAT test, and is not synonymous with NAAT as they have written. The latter does not say but it is an antigen test, not a molecular test. Both are fine for Curacao: the PCR test may not give results within the required 48h, but the antigen test is fast and suffices for the 24h test that Curacao wants. As far as i know, neither test states how deep the nasal probe went; the depth depends on the test manufacturer's protocol and the tester's skill, not on Curacao. CVS also sells over-the-counter antigen tests, which are NOT accepted by Curacao. Period.

Walgreens is a little clearer. They offer three tests as certified lab: a "Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR)", a "Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID-NOW)", and a Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW)". The PCR test is like the one from CVS; it takes "day" to get your result. The Antigen test is like CVS's "Rapid-Result" test with results in probably less than an hour. The ID-NOW test is a NAAT test (PCR is another kind of NAAT test), is molecular like PCR, and is accepted in many countries (like Bonaire) but apparently not in Curacao. Again, all three Walgreens tests use nasal swabs as recommended by the test manufacturer; the depth of those swabs is not specified in the printed results that come by email. Walgreens also sells OTC antigen tests that are NOT accepted by Curacao.

So if someone says, "I got my test at CVS and it was (or was not) accepted" is is quite unclear what test they got and why (or why not) it was accepted (or not).

CVS unfortunately adds to the confusion and uncertainty........So if someone says, "I got my test at CVS and it was (or was not) accepted" is is quite unclear what test they got and why (or why not) it was accepted (or not).
Your reply makes sense to me, which is why I posed the question and why I think there might be some confusion going around. Having gotten a few of those tests from Walgreen's for previous trips to other locations, I know the test result paperwork simply lists what date/time you were tested, your name and what type of test was done. It doesn't give details about how the test was administered, etc.

One guy who said he was in Curacao on vacation when he replied to my question on another forum said he had no problem at immigration using the CVS test. I asked which one he got and he told me the PCR/NAAT test. Still curious to hear from anyone here who has used one of the drugstore options recently and whether or not they had any issues.

Your reply makes sense to me, which is why I posed the question and why I think there might be some confusion going around. Having gotten a few of those tests from Walgreen's for previous trips to other locations, I know the test result paperwork simply lists what date/time you were tested, your name and what type of test was done. It doesn't give details about how the test was administered, etc.

One guy who said he was in Curacao on vacation when he replied to my question on another forum said he had no problem at immigration using the CVS test. I asked which one he got and he told me the PCR/NAAT test. Still curious to hear from anyone here who has used one of the drugstore options recently and whether or not they had any issues.
There is a lot of Curacao info -- moderated -- at a Facebook site: Gruppi Facebook

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom