US Navy SEAL Museum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for sharing the video. Would have been nice to have something specific about diving gear though.

Btw, anyone interested in the history of NCDU and UDT should read "The Naked Warrior" by Commander Fane.

Very nice video, thanks!

A small thought: 300 deaths over 50k seals is a rate of 0.6%. I expect this rate is the same across all the special forces around the developed world (and maybe higher in the developing one), but it is still crazily high. Brave people (or too energic young guys, it depends on the point of view)

Hat's off to all you Navy Seals. Y'all are badass. The rest of us just have to be content being grateful. Thank you.

Btw, anyone interested in the history of NCDU and UDT should read "The Naked Warrior" by Commander Fane.

That is easily one of the best books on UDT history. The Water is Never Cold: The Origins of U.S. Naval Combat Demolition Units, UDTs, and Seals is a very detailed and well documented book that goes deep into the Navy's processes that led to all the different groups that eventually became the UDT and later the SEALs. America's Hidden Heroes: The History and Evolution of U.S. Navy Frogmen and SEALs is a less detailed account than The Naked Warriors: The Story of the U.S. Navy's Frogmen but includes the transition from UDT to SEALs and has some interesting stories.

A small thought: 300 deaths over 50k seals is a rate of 0.6%.

True, but given the work they do it is pretty low. I consider that a testament to their selection process, training, and preparation.

I'm sorry for some of the poor picture qualities. It had difficult lighting conditions for photographers.
If you ever make it back, I know a trick for photography through glass. You need an external flash that you can remove from the camera. Then you hold the flash off to the side and directly up to the glass (or have someone else hold it). Then you don't get any reflection from the glass and the stuff inside the glass case is well lit.

Also, a circular polarizing filter can really help with reflections from ambient lighting.

Here is an image I took of the Naked Warrior bronze statue in Coronado, California. It is a duplicate of the one at Fort Pierce. There is also a copy at Virginia Beach, Virginia and Waimanalo Beach, Hawaii.

upload_2021-7-15_12-43-59.png

upload_2021-7-15_12-46-26.png

People don't realize that there was more than the UDT training facility out there. North and SouthHutchinson Islands were a huge base during WWII. Today you wouldn't even know the base existed

The Fort Pierce Naval Amphibious Training Base was a 19,280-acre site that extended approximately 25 miles from near Vero Beach to near Jensen Beach and included North and South Hutchinson Islands.The military acquired the site during World War II for the Navy to create a training facility. The Navy constructed more than 450 buildings and other improvements, such as roads and water and sewer systems. By January 1943, detachments of Scouts and Raiders began arriving.

The base fulfilled two primary missions during World War II. Its original mission was amphibious training, including training for Naval Underwater Demolition Teams. Amphibious training missions included use of high explosive rockets, bombs, antiaircraft guns and small arms.

Seward Johnson Sr started the Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute in Fort Pierc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom